Chapter 16: Dragged Along

Hermione POV

The first Saturday after the ball was officially announced, it seemed every single girl had decided to flock to Hogsmeade to see if they could find their dream dress in the shops there.

That included Ginny, and I had been dragged along with her. Granted, I needed a dress as well, and I wasn't about to pick out anything without Ginny being there. My fashion sense wasn't exactly impeccable. We had left straight away after breakfast to avoid all of the shops being picked over, and also any crowds. A few girls had the same idea, but only a few.

It was absolutely freezing outside that day, odd for October. I was bundled up from head to toe, with a scarf, hat, gloves, and a jacket only to walk down into the village.

Ginny was walking beside me, only she hadn't believed me when I said that it was cold and was now shivering. "Do you want to borrow my hat?" I asked her as we entered Hogsmeade, even though I was reluctant to hand it over.

She shook her head. "We're almost there," she tried to convince me, "Let's talk about something else, before I freeze to death. Now, which shop is first?"

"Uh," I started, "I've never shopped in Hogsmeade for anything other than books or sweets."

She laughed out loud, and nodded. "I should have known," she admitted jokingly, "Well I have, and we're going to start there."

She pointed off to a small shop, with a sign hanging near the door reading Ambrosia Formal Attire. "If there's a chance we're going to find the most beautiful dresses in the world, we're going to find them there."

My eyes widened slightly. "I'd settle for one of the better dresses in the world, I think," I said jokingly, and Ginny elbowed me softly and smiled.

She looked off into the distance. "I want something short," she explained blissfully, "With tulle, and covered in gems.

"What color?" I asked, mostly to humor her.

She sighed, smiling. "Silver," she explained, "Or gold. Or a sapphire blue."

I tilted my head slightly. "Blue would be great," I admitted, "And now that your hair is brown instead of red you wouldn't look like two opposite ends of the rainbow."

Ginny laughed, and pulled open the front door of the shop for me to walk through first. "Very true," she said, smiling.

"Merlin," I breathed as we entered the shop.

For a boutique in the small, near-deserted Hogsmeade, it was quite glamorous. Decorated expensively, the walls lined with dresses of every color, style, and design. "Who owns all of this?" I asked Ginny curiously.

She instantly pointed behind a counter in the back corner of the shop, where a woman sat. I immediately thought of her as stunning, with long, blonde hair, and immaculate pale skin. "I can see how a woman like that would have an appreciation for beautiful clothing," I mumbled to Ginny, and she nodded.

"She's a veela," she whispered to me, and I looked back at my friend, mouth hanging open slightly.

"How is that possible?" I asked, in shock, and Ginny shrugged.

"Have you never heard of a Veela?" She asked me, and I scoffed.

"Yes."

"Well, she is one. She own's the shop; name's Ambrosia."

Hmm, I hummed, looking back over at the woman. She was perhaps the same age as my mom, but had a youthful glow around her. Interesting name, I thought. "That's why you don't see any boys in here," Ginny explained further.