“I have been trading with the Sellites!”

“The same old trading agreement of years ago. That treaty is very favourable to the Sellites, and definitely not so favourable to the Coriolans. It is time for a change, you fool. You are anchored in the past, and in your own pleasures.”

“How dare you speak to me like that!” He marched over to the side of the room and pulled a long rope agitatedly. A dull ringing sounded outside.

His wife smiled, and made a sign to one of the guards who had accompanied her in. The broad-shouldered guard moved over to Maximus, and put one hand on his shoulder. 

“Guards!” Maximus shouted. “Guards, I say!”

Nobody came running in answer to his call. The portly ruler looked confused, and stared dumbly at the bell rope in his hand, unable to comprehend why it had not had an immediate effect. There should have been guards pouring in from all sides. His face crumpled.

“These are your guards now, Maximus,” said Indomita serenely. “They are going to escort you to Mount Palestron, and … err … look after you there. They will bring you back when you have had time to reconsider.”

“Reconsider what?” he demanded, getting a second wind. “This is preposterous. I am the ruling Elder of Coriolis—”

“And a fine mess you have made of it,” she said. “But you needn’t worry – I am going to take good care of our interests while you are resting. And I am sure you will see the benefits of our ruling jointly in the future. Send me a message through Kobar here.” Her gaze went to the guard who was holding her husband, and a smile played around her mouth. “I will be more than happy to get your message.”

“Over my dead body!” Maximus struggled futilely against the younger and stronger man. “Let me go, you fool! How dare you! I shall have you set in rexelene for this.”

“There is no need for theatrics, Maximus. Kobar merely has your best interests at heart. And your best interests are the best interests of Coriolis, you know.”

“You are trying to get your precious hands on Coriolis.”

“Yes.” She seemed pleased that he had finally caught on. “Together we will take Coriolis on to new successes. You are very tired, Maximus. All that hard … err … work has left you run down. You will feel so much better after your holiday. And you mustn’t hurry back. There is nothing for you to worry about. Coriolis will have me at its helm.”

“P-pr-preposterous!” he shouted again. “I am the ruling Elder of Coriolis—”

“You should have ruled better,” she told his back as he was escorted from the room. Indomita watched unmoved as the doors closed gently behind her husband, then seemed to recollect that she was not alone, and looked around.

 “Well Vion – as you can see there may be a need to review the current trading terms with Sell. You will no doubt be able to contact the Sellite Authorities. Please tell them to send a delegation as soon as possible to discuss future arrangements. And … err … Vion? Tell them they will be dealing with me for the foreseeable future, won’t you? Explain to them that my husband has found it necessary to retire from front line politics for the time being. I am sure he will be back soon.”

Vion could do little more than bow himself out of the room. He gave a silent whistle. He had been a witness to what must have been the quickest and most silent revolution in history. 

ATHERON AND MANDALON were travelling up on the space elevator to witness the first trial of the new space engine which would replace the current propellant used on the heavy-duty space freighters. The power systems skyrise had expressed reasonable confidence with the new prototype, and it was hoped that such an engine would save up to sixty percent of fuel consumption. It would be a considerable advantage, especially for Sellite mining operations.