Chapter Twelve

Chapter 12

VION WAS IN a meeting with Diva’s father, in Mesteta on Coriolis, discussing terms for the implementation of a system of preventative medical check-ups, when the bugles outside began to sound, and a scuffling and whispering announced that something most unusual was taking place.

“Lady Indomita Magmus Regent of Coriolis!” announced a minion.

Diva’s father struggled to his feet, not without difficulty.

“Wh … what?” he said.

“It is nice to see you too, Maximus,” said Diva’s mother, gliding into the room attended and protected by seven burly guards.

“Well, I … I …”

“You are naturally delighted to see me.” She pulled off a travelling headdress and sat down quite composedly in a nearby chair. “You are wondering why I am here.” She looked around the room with interest. “I see you have redecorated. Hello Vion, I hope you are well?”

“You … you can’t just walk in here … as if … as if nothing had happened!” spluttered Diva’s father.

“Certainly not as if nothing had happened!” corrected her mother. “On the contrary, if I had not abandoned you, it is doubtful that Coriolis would be in such an advantageous situation as it is now. I don’t suppose it would have occurred to you to trade with the Kwaidian rebels using the orthogel entity as transport.”

“It would not!” Maximus sounded as if he were congratulating himself on this fact.

“No, I thought not.”

“You are disgracing the principles of Coriolan exchange!”

“I do not feel that you are the one to be talking of disgrace, Maximus. I have heard about your escapades in Mesteta, about your … err … excesses …”

“My so-called excesses are none of your business!” shouted Maximus, struggling to heave himself out of his chair. He caught sight of Vion, who was trying to edge out of the door. “No! Stay, Vion, if you don’t mind.”

“I have decided that it is time I came down to Mesteta for a while to take care of things, and you … ah … how shall I put this? Yes … you will take a little break on Mount Palestron. If you are very good about it I shall let you come back and rule with me after a few weeks of … shall we say … reflection?”

“Over my dead body!” The Elder was so red in the face that Vion felt concerned about his health.

“No need to overdramatize the situation, my dear.”

“I am the ruling Elder on Coriolis!”

“You were the ruling Elder on Coriolis,” she corrected gently. “I am merely suggesting that you take a short break. I will … err … look after things here for you while you are on a repairing sojourn on Mount Palestron.”

“How dare you, Indomita! Women do not rule planets!”

“I have been considering the situation for quite some time now, and I have come to the conclusion that if I do not step in now, you will ruin Coriolis.” Her eyes flickered to her guards. “I have some support, you know.”

“Support? What support can YOU have?”

“Some Coriolans are making a great deal of money through the trade agreements with the rebels on Kwaide,” she said. “They feel that your handling of the opportunities has been … shall we say … lacking?”

“I have been extremely busy!”

“We heard. You have been busy interesting yourself in the low-life of Mesteta.”