"But, Cimma-" the Kwaidian began.

"But, Cimma, nothing." Grace's mother frowned. "You know how important these classes are. You, at least, should be happy to spend some time learning to fight better." The Sellite woman shifted her weight on the orthosupport she was using to help her stand, and took a couple of steps towards Six, who looked at her warily.

"Now, Cimma," he said. "I'll get Diva back, I promise. Hang on a moment! Just having a bit of fun, is all."

"My classes are not supposed to be fun." Grace's mother lifted her chin.

Six muttered under his breath.

"Did you say something?" She took a step forward, which caused Six to take a step back.

"Nothing. Arcan, can you ask Diva to come back, please? Tell her I am sorry or whatever. Tell her we have to finish the class."

"She is coming," Arcan said, after a brief pause. "She seems a bit cross though."

"Terrific! Two cross ... err, I mean ... that will make the fight all the more enjoyable." And I thought Atheron's classes were the worst thing you could possibly have! He looked at the Sellite woman out of the corner of his eye. She was still recovering from the wounds received when the Sellites had attacked, and needed constant support. Luckily, Arcan had been able to mould her firstly an orthogel chair, and now an orthogel supportive column. Even though a full month had passed since the attack, the bruises along her face were still clearly visible. She had decided to appoint herself fitness and fight instructor, and nobody dared gainsay her.

At last Diva reappeared, and they began to weave to and fro in the training ritual Cimma insisted upon. Diva had a particularly bloodthirsty look on her face, and Six was hard-pressed to avoid being marked by the blunted blades they used in these training sessions. Diva's dagger couldn't slice him up like her real one could, but he knew from past experience that it could give him some very nasty bruises. Soon he was gasping for breath, and Diva was grinning at him in a distinctly maniacal way.

"Now, nomus, do you still think women are stupid?" she asked, panting but still taking good care to move her feet in the prescribed way. Cimma was a hard taskmaster.

"I never said they were!" said Six, indignant. "In fact; I believe I said they weren't!"

"I know what you were thinking!"

"You can read thoughts now, your ladyship?" he asked.

"I can read yours! The few you have, that is."

Six smiled into her face, and then executed a particularly intricate foot manoeuvre, causing Diva to tumble onto her knees. In a second the blunted version of his Kwaidian kris was at her throat. He gave a wicked grin. "I seem to have won the fight," he said. "Now who would have believed that?"

"You took advantage of me!" she cried.

"And quite right too," Cimma said. "That is what fights are all about."

"Let me stand up, no-name. I want to have a rematch!"

"Why? So that I can beat you again?"

"You and whose army?"

"Yeah, yeah. Scary!" He rolled his eyes. "Why can't you ever admit it when you lose?"

There was a distinct sound of tooth grating against tooth. "Take your position!" she ordered.

Six gave a theatrical sigh, but obeyed. He knew he would have a hard fight to catch her off her guard again. They were well-matched as adversaries - his wiry toughness almost making up for Diva's superior skill. He had been lucky to break through, but he wasn't about to admit it.