The Queen and the Dagger - Chapter Thirteen

The next day passed in a flurry of preparation.

There were provisions to be packed, weapons to be selected and, most important, oaths of allegiance to be gained from the other queens. Indigo and Borla visited each in turn. They drank cups of spiced rue to seal Indigo's position as Alvareth's one true queen, and her sister as regent.

When she was sure all was in order, Indigo went to her father's warren to say her goodbyes and found him fussing about his arm bands for the night's feast celebrating Borla's regency. She watched him as he snapped at the servants, trying to get the height just right. There was a hint of vanity, of vulnerability at his lost status, that she hadn't seen before.

The shock of it swept over her and she wondered how she could have been so blind: her father loved Kalmara, and loved her a great deal. She should have been glad, for was it not good for a husband to love his wife? But somehow she felt it was a betrayal of her mother, a betrayal of Azel. How long had he loved her? She chased the thought away.

"You're as handsome as you ever were. And you'll always be Queen Father, remember."

Lukkas grunted, still smarting from recent events, but she knew she had pleased him. "You've learned flattery. There's more white than tan on my chest now." He looked at her for a moment. "I'm sure you'll learn much more while you're with the Order."

"That is my plan."

He smiled. "What you did took humility. I am proud of you, daughter."

"Borla is your daughter too. Protect her from Kalmara while I'm gone."

"Everything will be fine," he said. "Kalmara is not the enemy you imagine. Promise me you'll return?"

"I promise."

He touched his nose to hers. "Now go. The ink master won't wait forever, even for a queen."

Halfway across the quadrangle, Indigo was so absorbed mulling over her father's words about returning that she didn't even notice her sisters until they were nearly upon her.

Borla shook her head in admiration. "They're already composing ballads about Alvareth's new warrior queen."

"I'm not ruling yet."

Her sister smiled. "Kalmara won't dare try anything now you've publicly beaten her. You have too many admirers." Her expression turned serious. "But you must come back. I don't want to be Regent for longer than I have to."

Indigo looked at her in surprise. Borla shrugged. "I've never wanted the throne, Bobo. Fact is, I was relieved when Kalmara named you Crown Princess. A queen has too many enemies."

Indigo looked to Dorju, who nodded and made a flurry of signs with her paws: it's true. I felt the same.

Borla hugged Indigo tight. "May Aktu guide you well. Come home as soon as you can, little sister."

And having said goodbye, Indigo knew there was only one other rabbit she had to see.