The Queen and the Dagger - Chapter Eight

Feeling upset always led her to the same place.

Indigo entered the training yard, a patch of flattened grass northwest of the main warrens where the royals honed their fighting skills. Whenever her mind felt scattered, she could always rely on sword movements to calm and center her. Strange, she thought now, that it had been Kalmara who had first shown her how sword play could soothe as well as stimulate the mind. Was there a distinct moment where their relationship had started to sour? Or had it been a gradual erosion, their opposing natures grating more and more with the years? Everything had changed once her mother and Azel died.

She chose a practice blade from the wooden rack, its face scarred from numerous sessions, and began thrusting and hacking at one of the straw targets propped in a corner. It felt good to focus her anger, to have an enemy to shred. Soon she was sweating in the afternoon warmth, her arm burning from the exertion.

She didn't know what her aunt would decide, but surely the queendoms couldn't stay, not with Argasar's story of what had happened to the Blackmoons. Indigo thrust with even greater frustration at the thought that her aunt had, as always, disregarded her opinion. Kalmara would never fight. The most she would do would be to flee north, possibly invade other territories rather than defend her own. Indigo felt a rush of bitterness. It wasn't even Kalmara's decision to make, as she should rightfully be queen.

"I guess there's some truth to the rumors. You can hold a sword."

She didn't bother to glance back. Kuno's considerable frame cast most of the training yard in shadow.

"Did you mean it? About my being chosen to join the Order?"

The bear moved to a cistern of water in one corner and buried his muzzle for a deep drink. He raised his dribbling face and wiped it dry with one furry arm. "What do you think?"

"I wonder whether the Order only wanted me for my queendom."

Kuno began examining the practice blades, testing some of them with one paw. "It's a pity if we can't have Alvareth behind the Order. But no, the main reason I came was for you, Princess. The head of the Order named you."

Indigo stopped in mid stab. She had heard much of the Order's controversial leader, as many had. "Is it true he's a—"

Kuno nodded. "Yes. It's true. But even so, I'd trust him with my life. You can, too." He caught her looking at the scars that marked his body: some minor, others evidence of having grazed death. "Mankahar is in the midst of dark times."

"So is Alvareth." Indigo shook her head. "Would you ever believe we were once a queendom of fierce warriors?"

"Borla told me the law," the bear said, stepping closer. "There's no rule to say how long a regent can deny you the throne."

"What are you saying?"

"That unless you have the support of the whole of Alvareth, Kalmara may never make you queen."

"My father wouldn't allow that," Indigo argued. "Besides, Alvareth would support me."

The bear shook his head. "Maybe in spirit. But her hold on those with power is strong as gout on old bones. You'd be hard pressed to contest her now."

Indigo knew he was right. All these years she'd spent training at the sword, hoping the Order would accept her, while her aunt had been tightening her grip on Alvareth. She had been strengthening her own meager fighting arm while Kalmara had been strengthening her entire political base. She berated herself for being so blind.

"Perhaps I am not suited to be queen," she said bitterly.

The bear shook his head. "You're suited. But you may have to prove it to Alvareth."