The Queen and the Dagger - Chapter Six

Snap.

Indigo resisted the urge to rush up and bolt. She forced her eyes to remain closed, to let her nose and ears do the work for her.

Judging by the light seeping through her lids, it was close to noon. Despite her exhaustion after little sleep during their hunt for the wolves, and then spending all morning digging the grave, she had said the customary prayers over the mound. Then she had decided to shut her eyes—only for a few moments—before she set off to join her sisters.

Snap.

She could smell it now, the clear, overpowering musk of wolf. Her heart set off like a panicked bird, and she felt as she did at the Run: trapped. She knew her best defense was to stay still. Although she'd been foolish enough to fall into a deep sleep, she'd been cautious enough to hide herself in a nearby thicket under her brown cloak so that she blended into her surroundings.

She cracked one eye open and peered through the tangle of branches. A set of wide paws, nails chipped and discolored, were visible just at the edge of the freshly turned earth. A snout came into view as the wolf—it was definitely a wolf—sniffed deeply at the grave and pawed at the dirt.

Indigo's fear dissolved into anger. She hadn't labored all morning to have one of these unliving monsters come and dig up the body. Though the smart thing would have been to quietly back out of her hiding place—for she had the advantage of being downwind, but that could change—she couldn't let this wolf desecrate the new grave. Her paw strayed to the scabbard next to her and she touched the reassuring bulk of her sword. She could have it free within a breath, steal from the thicket in two or three if she was slow. After that, she'd have to decide between nicking a tendon or sinking the weapon somewhere more vital.

She inhaled and drew her sword. She slid, silent, until she was in the open, just behind the newcomer, whose snout still probed the fresh earth. She pushed herself to her feet and rushed the wolf with sword raised.

She realized in the blink it took her to cross the space that she had misjudged. Focused on staying silent, she had failed to notice the shift in the wind. In the time it took to draw her sword and get to her feet, the wind had veered, sending her scent directly to the wolf. She realized it in the way he—for it was a he, and an alpha at that—turned towards her, expectant and ready.

So fast that she barely saw him move, the wolf was on her. She had no chance to bring her sword into play before he knocked her to the ground, pinning her with his wide grey paws and baring his yellowed fangs in her face. She lay on her back, rigid with fear, ribs screaming under the monster's weight.

So this is what death looks like. She forced herself to look it in the eyes.

"You are far from home, rabbit."

She blinked, her terror momentarily replaced by confusion.

"Get gone, child," the wolf growled. "Before what happened to her happens to you."

He backed off, but his eyes never left her. Indigo sat up, rubbing her bruised arms.

"Are you a Blackmoon?"

A look of sadness creased his face. She noticed the loose skin around his ribs, the gauntness of his muzzle. He had missed many meals. Unusual for spring.

"I'm the Blackmoon, rabbit." He motioned at her sword. "Take it. But use it on me and I will send you to Aktu."

She stood, making no move towards her weapon. "What do you mean, you're 'the' Blackmoon?"

He gave her a cold, predatory smile. "I'm the only wolf of Blackmoon left. The others...." His eyes wandered towards the grave, and she didn't need him to complete the sentence.

"How?"

The wolf glared at her, bitter. "What does it matter? They're gone. Might as well be dead. They'd be better dead, truth be told."

Indigo cautiously picked up her sword and sheathed it. "If the Pacification is coming north, we need to know."

The wolf sat, studying her for a moment. "You're a royal."

"I thought that's why you didn't eat me."

He flashed her a bitter grin. "I've been surrounded by the Pacified for so long, it's nice to see someone who speaks. Even if that someone is usually food."

An idea struck her. "Then help save others like us," she said.

The wolf's eyes narrowed. "How?"