three; development

R I L E Y

"Get out! Get out now!" I fired back at him, although he just sat there, staring back at me. I was never this furious, but I was today. "Lucas, I said get out!" 

He didn't budge, his stature was more intimidating than caring. Finally, he grumbled as he climbed out the window, "I think I was right when I said you were too much for me, Riley." 

A fight, another fight. This isn't how real, caring relationships should work. I know that he is a good guy, we all do. But, his Texas feelings seem to get in the way sometimes.

Why did we fight, you ask? Oh, right. Coffee and cake. Yup. He texted me and asked if I wanted anything from the coffee shop downtown. I said, 'Yes, thank you, babe! I'll take a brownie and a mocha frappe.' He agreed and then arrived at my window with an apricot pie and some fancy coffee thing, that was most definitely not the basic mocha that I asked for. But, who am I to complain? 

But, I did want to remind him. I told him thank you and that it was very kind of him, but to please read the text more carefully next time. I mean, who mixes brownie up with apricot pie, anyways? He yelled at me, saying I was a princess, and to please stop. I cried, well, because I am sensitive. He got so angry that I was crying, so I tried to explain my feelings. 

Every single time I explain my feelings, we fight. He doesn't get me like... Farkle?

I just sat down, floundering in my tears. 

F A R K L E

"Where is she, guys?" I asked the rest of the gang, but nobody was paying attention. Lucas and Zay were studying for their chemistry exam and Maya was practicing Spanish. 

"No idea." Lucas said in a huff. He seemed to have a tang of the 'Texas Lucas' we all have met one time or another, and I didn't like it one bit.

"Riley esta en casa." Maya replied in spanish. 

Casa, casa, casa? Home! Right. Riley is at home.

I ignored the many comments as to where I was headed and just kept on. Something was up, and I knew it very well. If I didn't know better, I'd say something happened between Riley and Lucas. She never misses time at the cafe with us and he seemed to be acting weird. 

Usually he is very kind, and he is not a bad guy. I know he isn't, but when he gets questioned or is guilty of fault, sometimes a switch goes off and he is the mean, hustling cowboy he once was.

My feet couldn't carry me fast enough. I had to be there, to comfort her. I felt this rush of protection flying through me. Part of me felt big, bigger than Canada.

I flew up the fire escape and I heard whimpers. I slid the window open and looked around. Riley sat, wrapped in her comforter, mascara smeared across her face.

I crouched to her level and she embraced me in a hug. "Farkley!"

She laid her head on my shoulder and just sobbed. "What happened, Riley?" 

She sniffed back her tears and sighed. "Lucas and I fought again. Surprise!" 

"Oh, Riley. Why?"

"Cake and coffee. Stupid, stupid cake and coffee." She buried her head in my jacket.

"Oh." I muttered. He made her cry over cake and coffee?  "Tell me what happened, sweet girl."

She looked up at me, tear stricken eyes. "He asked me if I, I wanted anything from the cafe. I said yes and asked for a mocha frappe with a brownie. He came with a apricot pie and a strange coffee; it almost tasted medieval."

I snickered at her comment but motioned for her to continue. 

She sighed, "I was so kind, Farkle. I told him thank you over and over, but I did remind him once that it wasn't the order I asked for, but I'd drink it and it was super kind of him to offer. He blew up. He blew up! He said that I was acting like a princess; and honestly I think it was because he suddenly got defensive, Texas defensive. I started to cry and he got all upset that I was emotional, so I tried to explain my feelings. You know how that goes; we always fight when we talk about more than just cutesy things, not life. Life is real, Farkle! I told him to get out and he yelled that he was right when he said I was too much for him." 

I could see the tears dripping down her face and I just brought her closer to me. "It's going to be alright, Riley. Everything will be alright. Shh."

Silence filled the room; a comfortable silence though. She spoke up, "Farkle, what do I do?"

Tell her that she should be with you; you wouldn't treat her feelings like that. I sighed, "Riley, I don't know what you should do. But, I am always here for you. No, I don't think Lucas is a bad guy, I think he gets defensive. But, I also don't know how you think that will work forever, Riles."

"I understand."

"Riley, do you remember why I broke up with Isadora?" I asked, my heart pounding.

"Yes." She smiled weakly, looking up at me with those brown eyes that melted me.

"Chemistry; we didn't have just that. I think you need to reevaluate your relationship with Lucas. You need to see if you have chemistry, or just emotions. Riley, think about this; there may be someone out there that will love you more, and care. Someone close to you, okay, Riles?"

"Okay."

We just sat there, her head on my shoulder, as she cried and talked. I listened, it's what I do best of all. I wish we could stay this way forever, and ever, and ever. Now, what to do to let her see.