prologue

F A R K L E

Feelings have always been strange for me, except for when it came to my feelings for Riley. I've known without a shadow of a doubt that I loved her with all of my heart. 

You see, I met Riley Matthews, and her best friend Maya Penelope Hart, when we were in first grade. When I met them, I promised to love them equally all my life. I could never hurt them.

Beginning in middle school, I began to see Maya as a sister I'd love forever and Riley as the girl I hoped to love forever. She knew that I said that I loved her, everyone knew. I mean, I was so devoted to declaring it to everyone I came in contact with when we were younger.

Flashback:

"Are we here to learn or what?" I asked Riley's father, Cory, our history teacher.

"What do you mean, Farkle?" He asked with a raise of his eyebrow.

"I've been in love with Riley since the first grade." I said, no doubt.

She raised her hands into the air, giggling. 

"But, i'm equally in love with Maya."

She turned around, annoyed. "You don't want this."

"Bring it on."

I chuckle every time that I think about it. I was so young, and everyone thought it was a fad that I could be so in love at eleven, but I was. Madly. 

She was too blinded by other boys, since we were best friends, and she tried so hard to get Lucas Friar. He was the new boy in school, a cowboy. I am no cowboy. 

You're probably guessing that I was a boy in love with his best friend, waiting and never ever finding true love. That's not true. I have a girlfriend, and she is great. Her name is Isadora Smackle and we have been dating for two years. 

I'll always have a place in my heart for Riley, but she is in love with her now boyfriend Lucas, and I don't want to interfere. I want her happy. I always have sensed something between us, but I've never been able to place it.

Read to find out!