Lying in bed the morning after the bonfire,  I stared lazily up at my train ticket-filled ceiling, my mind whirring. The faint smell of ocean smoke clung to my hair, easily allowing me to transport myself back to last night.

After we'd made our way back to the hub of people, I'd introduced Kaiden to Nora...or rather, she'd introduced herself. I'd stood beside them, watching rather half-attentively as a most bizarre first meeting occurred. My cheek still felt heavy from the weight of Kaiden's lips, not to mention my thoughts.

Nora and Kaiden hit off instantly. Where she was hot tempered, Kaiden was quick witted, and it didn't take long for him to earn her respect. Or maybe it was the other way round, although I had a feeling that Kaiden didn't respect easily. At least, not ususally.

Oh, he'd lost faith in respect a long time ago.

Now, as I looked down at the balled up pile of duvet that was Nora sleeping, I wondered. I wondered why that was the case. What had made him lose faith in people, and their ability to be anything but bad?

Was it experience, and if so, first or second hand? Was it loss? Was it..was it love?

God, I had no idea, and it made me want to throw off the covers and run to his house right now, this chilly, crystal clear winter's morning. Bang on that lion knocker that cried rain, watch as he opened the door in a typhoon of sleep, and ask - demand - what had made him lose hope.

But we can't always do what we want, and so instead, I kicked my friend in the head.

"What the...?" Came her garbled response.

"I'm hungry. You sleep like a bloody log. And you snore." I padded softly to the bathroom, a frown on my face. Where did that attitude come from?

"I still sleepin." Now wasn't she the pinnacle of articulation in the mornings? A few seconds later: "I can hear you peeing, Megaleg." I kept peeing; it wasn't as though I could stop. "Jesus how much do you drink? Sounds like waterfall."

"Shut up," I replied.

"Nope, you shouldn't have awoken me."

I washed my hands, examining my sleepy face in the mirror and pulling a face. 

"You also fart in your sleep." I said, knowing full well what was coming.

"Fuck you."

I snorted and opened the door. She was still cocooned in one of Tommy's duvets; a despicable me artwork of little yellow minions. Oh the joys of that movie.

"You want scotch pancakes?" I asked.

Her eyes narrowed into slits. "With smarties and fruit?"

"M&Ms?"

"Deal."

"Get up. I'm not making them by myself."

"You're in a weird mood. You're normally nicer."

"Shut up."

"Shouldn't have woken me. Are you having Kaiden withdrawal symptoms?" Silence. The clock wove a timeframe through the room, stitching together seconds and suspense. "Yes. Yes you are."

I gave her a very unimpressed look even though I wanted to smile at the mention of his name, and made my way over to draw the curtains. "I'm really not."

Her smile was knowing. "Uhuh."

I kicked her again with a little more force. "Get up."

"Ow. Geez Meg, calm down. I'm getting up." She hauled herself - and the minions - up and started trundling towards the kitchen. "Why're you so grouchy?"

I made the most unattractive face that I could at her, scratching my hair until it presumed the shape of a bird's nest. "What can I say? I'm crabby 'til I get my coffee."

"That I know, my friend. That, I know."

After drinking our weight in coffee, I decided I needed to take my mind off all things Kaiden related. The morning was bathed in cold sunshine, the skeletons of trees twinkling with frost. Outside, I could hear the sound of exhausts, puffing out that deadly smoke. It was as comforting as it was alarming.

"So...What's the deal with you and Ollie?" I tried to sound nonchalant.

She choked on an M&M, banging a hand off her chest, eyes watering. "Nothing!" She managed to get out, averting her eyes.

Cradling my mug in both hands, I eyed Nora over the rim. "Sure." My voice echoed in the kitchen. "You know you can tell me anything, right?"

Nora fidgeted, chasing her fork around her empty plate. It was a while before she looked up. "Of course I know that. Of course I do, Meg. It's just that..."

"You're not ready?" I supplied, smiling gently.

Oh, how I knew what it was like not to be ready for something. Like a wave slamming into you, spinning you into a freefall of confusion and grief. You're completely upturned; your thoughts, your life, all those insignificant little things - you're suddenly so unsure of how to do them. The uncertainty of the present. The uncertainty and dread of the future. It wasn't fair. Surely, surely, there was a time when a little preparation was allowed in life.

Surely, when your dad is killed in -

"-No. Yes. I mean I am ready to tell you. I'm always ready to tell you anything. Except that time when I stole your pencil." She laughed. "I just.."

Blinking, I dispelled my thoughts. Now was really, really not the time to focus on me, or indeed my anger at life. "Don't want to say it out loud?"

Nora looked at me, and the smile she gave me was sad and happy at the same time. "God, Meg, you really know me, don't you?"

I shrugged, looking at the dregs of my coffee and examining the smooth, rich consistency of it. "You can say it, and then we'll just forget it. No one else is listening."

Nora opened her mouth, closed it, then opened it again; like a gold fish searching for food, she was searching for fuel for words. Just as she was about to speak, a voice sounded behind me.

"That's not quite true. I'm listening."

I jumped, whirling around with wide eyes. Standing with her head popped round the door frame, a sheepish expression gracing her face, Tess smiled. "Oh my god! Tess! You nearly gave me a heart attack."

She winked. "Wouldn't be the first time, eh?"

Okay...it was official. My housekeeper was bonkers.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't keep quiet. Good morning, Nora." Behind me, Nora waved, although her expression was a little shocked. Tess's italian body followed her head, and soon she was standing in all her small glory in the kitchen. "I thought you knew I was here this morning, Meg."

"Nope." I wrinkled my nose. "I'm guessing my mother's out all day, then." Tess nodded. "Well, fantastic."

Tess smirked. A fifty year old woman smirked. "One day, if you're not careful, the only language you'll be able to speak will be sarcasm, Meg."

Nora snorted. "She's far too wistful for that, Mrs T." Tess beamed at her nickname; Nora had always called Tess 'Mrs T', and she liked it.

"That she is," Tess grinned at me and started backing out of the kitchen. "Why don't you two go out somewhere today? I'll take care of Tommy, Meg, you go out and enjoy yourselves. Have a gossip where no one else can hear you." She winked again, brandishing the hoover. HOW DO PEOPLE WINK? IT IS SOME UNIVERSAL QUESTION WHOSE ANSWER IS UNKNOWN TO ME.

"You up for that?" I asked Nora, turning back around. My friend was already out of her seat.

"When am I ever not?"

****************

lol

I was gonna continue this but I felt like posting it so here you are. I hope you enjoy it. I'm not sorry at all. Also I know this doesn't flow. It jjust isn't flowing which is annoying but anyway, here it is.

AB