Walking

Chapter 6

The streets were peaceful as our little company walked along together, two pairs of old and young, conjoined in silence by our hands. I focused on my breaths, feeling the cool air exhaust my lungs time and time again. Tommy and Minnie were silent by our sides, lost in their own worlds, probably tired from their long day of playing, laughing and then some more playing.

I envied them, I really did.

Kaiden was the first to break the silence, his soft voice prodding the air musically. There was a lilt to his words that made me wonder of he sang - the proper type, where all the notes fit perfectly into each other and the sound was a beautiful melody of intricately designed pitches. Somehow, I could picture him singing, a guitar in arms, or perhaps pouring rhythmically over the drums.

Drums seemed quite like a Kaiden pastime. I filed that thought away for a later question.

"How long have you lived in Midwich then?"

My fingers trailed over a dark lamppost briefly before I answered him. "Hmm, well, I moved here when I was five....so, twelve years. Shit! Twelve years!?" I exclaimed at my revelation, taken aback by how long I'd been here.

There goes the funny concept that is time again.

Kaiden chuckled at my surprise. I glanced at him, and he was watching the sky. "You like it here?" He asked quietly, his head tipping up slightly. I took his momentary distraction to examine him, locking away his features indefinitely. I hadn't got round to drawing him, but by god, when I did, it was going to take a long time. There was something undefinable about his appearance, something that you couldn't capture just in pencil strokes. He was infinitely more than that; exuding something I hadn't yet discovered over everyone he was around.

I marvelled at it.

He looked down at me, and I realised that I'd been staring at him too long and hasn't answered his question. I cleared my throat, quickly looking away and searching for one.

"I...I guess so, yeh. It's a lovely town, especially if you know where to go. There are some really great places - the undiscovered kind, where you can just go to collect you thoughts, you know?" Kaiden nodded absently, obviously listening to me. "But it really has been twelve years, and there are memories -" my voice broke, and I tried to cough to cover it up. Kaiden watched me, his eyes roaming my face, but I refused to meet his gaze yet. I knew he'd figure it iout soon enough, and if he didn't, I'd tell him anyway, just not now. Not like this.

"-memories that are engrained here, and sometimes I just want to get away from it all." I finished off, biting my lip.

Kaiden nodded again and was very quiet for a while, the only sound was our feet padding softly along. Tommy's hand was limp in mine, and I wondered if he was listening - if he understand what I was referring to. After all, I guess they were his memories too.

Dad.

"I get that," he said finally, turning to me slightly and smiling reassuringly. I smiled back warmly, but there was pain in both of our eyes, and not even his dimples could erase that right now.

"How about you? Where did you used to live, before you moved over to unpredictable old England?" I asked, attempting to lighten the mood.

"We lived in California, didn't we Min?" He asked fondly, tugging at her hand. Minnie looked up at me and nodded, and then a wide, invasive yawn took over her sweet face. We laughed, and she turned away shyly, embarrassed by her tiredness.

Bless her little cotton socks. I glanced down. Ok, quite literally, bless her cotton socks.

"Wow, California huh? No wonder you're tanned."

"Mmm, it is sunny, but it can get a little...samey. We lived in this town on the coast for a little while, and it was gorgeous. A lot of surfers, but...yeh, I guess we had to move. I think we're doing okay here. The move hasn't been too strenuous." His gazed locked with mine and he didn't say anything, just looked at me. That frown was back, and I wanted erase it out. Whatever was causing him pain, I wanted it out. He didn't deserve it - not Kaiden.

Running a hand through his dark hair, effectively tousling it, he breathed out a foggy breath. We banked right and started up the slight hill to my house. Various lights were on in the brick houses lining the dark, deserted streets, and I avoided peaking in them. Night time was a private affair; who was I to look in on someone's life just because they'd mistakenly left the curtain's open?

Mum's car wasn't in our small drive as we stopped at the opening in the low wall. Kaiden surveyed my house, drinking in its aged bricks that were partially obscured by a very overgrown climbing hydrangea. It had been an age since it had been pruned, and in a way, I liked it. It made our house feel wild, despite being on the fringe of suburbia.

"Well, this is us." I said, trying to hide my reluctance to go inside. I didn't feel like coming home to an empty house, even if I did have Tommy beside me.

"Ok, are your parents home?" He asked dubiously.

"Mum usually works late," I said, shrugging, and starting into the drive. Tommy let go of my hand and ran up to the door, peering through the bronze letter box. I smiled and turned back to Kaiden. "Thanks for the escort," I told him as the lights glowed around him, casting strange shadows across his face.

"Anytime." He said sincerely, running a hand through his hair again.

"Are you gonna be okay walking back? I didn't think of that..."

Good one, Meg. You're so thoughtful.

Kaiden laughed, placing a protective hand his sister's head. "Yes, we'll be fine. Don't worry. It's not that long a walk really. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yeh," I nodded, twirling the house keys in my hands subconsciously. "Have a good evening. Bye Minnie." I added, smiling at the little girl and giving her a wave. She smiled back, but her eyes were drooping as well.

What had their school done to them? They were liking walking zombies.

"Bye Kaiden." I repeated, smiling.

He threw a grin over his shoulder and raised his hand. "Night, Meg." He said.

I didn't know if I was the only one to notice, but every time we said farewell, we always said each other's names. There was something colloquial and yet sincere about it - friendly but intimate.

I liked it.

"Come onnnn, Meg." Tommy whined from behind me, and I swung my gaze from his retreating form, smiling.

"We need to work on your patience little man." I told him, ruffling his hair and opening the door as he grumbled.

The dusky house beckoned us in, leaning towards the ominous side, before I turned the lights on and the darkness dispelled.

Light made everything a little better.