Chapter 1

"Addie, are you serious! We are leaving in less than an hour, why don't you have your room packed up?"

"I'll be ready." I groan and shut my laptop before my mother leaves my bedroom and closes the door again.

We're moving today, and I really don't want to. I grew up here, and I do not want to leave. Yeah sure, I don't have very many friends here in Wisconsin, but how the hell am I supposed to just start all over in a new place when I'm already seventeen?

"Addie, twenty minutes!" My dad's deep voice is heard from downstairs. Our house is a modest size, so it's not that hard to hear him.

I sigh heavily and drag my feet around my room to finish packing. I can't help but feel somber as I tuck my belongings away into various suitcases and bags. I'm comfortable here. This is the house I grew up in, and where I've become accustomed to. I like all of my teachers at school and I was already accepted into the university of Wisconsin on full scholarship, but now that we have to move, I know it's not an option anymore. I don't know if I'll even be able to attend college anymore, without that full scholarship, there's no way my parents or I can afford it.

I sigh once again and take a last look at my small, but cozy bedroom. All that remains is a bed frame and the large dresser that the movers will be collecting later today.

"Goodbye." I whisper and roll my suitcase on the hard wood floor out to the hallway and down the steps.

"Are you ready?" My mother asks frantically. She's still trying to pack and do another hundred different things at once.

I roll my eyes when she's not looking. Her unorganized lifestyle makes me cringe. I hate not being prepared and not having everything together... I obviously didn't get that trait from my mother.

"Yep." I say, popping the 'p.'

I don't care how rude I am. I want my parents to know that I am not happy with this. Even if it is beyond their control, I do not want to move. It's not fair.

"Addie, quit it with the attitude." My father enters the kitchen and snaps at me.

"Do we really have to go? Or can't I just stay here with grandma?"

"Absolutely not! We are not leaving you half way across the world, Addie." Mom raises her voice at me. "And yes, you know we have to go. This is a good opportunity for your father, and we can't afford to stay here. Aren't you excited to move to England? You've always wanted to go there."

"Yeah mom, to visit. Not to live there, when I know absolutely no one. I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb."

"Margaret, the cabs here!" I can hear my father yell to my mom from the front room.

"Okay, grab your bags, Addie. Are you sure you have everything?" My mom turns to me and asks.

"Yeah."

I follow her out to the yellow van parked outside by the curb. I take one last look at the house I grew up in, the house that holds all of my childhood memories.

"Let's go!" I'm snapped out of my nostalgic thoughts as my dad calls me into the cab.

As soon as I get to the back seat, I plug in my earbuds to my phone and drown the terrible music the cab driver is playing with my own. Adele's calm voice soothes me as we drive to the airport. England won't be so bad right? I mean, Adele is from there, and I love her music. I inwardly laugh at myself as I rest my head against the window. I'm so not ready for this, starting brand new in a place where I know nothing about. It's scary. Especially when I had everything planned out before my parents decided to drop the bomb on me, telling me my dad got a job in some random town called Holmes Chapel.