Okay, so there's like 80 % chances that we get screwed up. Fuck my life. Of course some of the girls secretly wanted to end up in group C, even though Switzerland was a tough opponent. The room became silent again. The announcer took another ball out of the box. "Group A : Austria." There were whispers. "Group B... England". I swear if we get into this group... Tobin noticed Kelley's nervousness, since she was glued to Allie's hand. "Group C : Iceland." Again with the whispers. "Group D : China PR". 

This World Cup is going to be savage... Like, the other team shouldn't have to improve that much ! Kelley thought, biting her lips. She knew everybody - especially Allie, who had her eyes locked on the screen - was thinking like her. The team couldn't handle a new defeat in an early stage. "Group A : Zimbabwe" Damn it. As usual, the last draw was not on the same order. "Group C : New Zealand." The room got restless. They were in either Group B with France, England and Brazil.... nor in Group D with Canada, Japan and China... That's fucked up. Kelley was praying to be in Group D. At least they stood a chance against China. 

The announcer looked at the note. "Group B..." Not Group B, not Group B ! The tension was growing. "USA". Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Kelley and Allie exchanged a concerned look, as the other girls were just trying to laugh out of this situation. 

"Well" Abby said, trying to smile. "It's like 'Group of Death 2.0, ameliorated version" she joked, and that made everyone nervously laugh. "Eh, guys, this isn't the end of the road ! You shouldn't be afraid ! We still believe. That's what we do. So now stop looking so concerned and just go to training !" 

The girls cheered and did as they were told. 

As they were all heading to the locker room, Mal spotted Jenko. She seemed to be very tired, and her eyes were a little bit red. But the goalkeeper totally ignored her, even though they spent the month texting each other. 

"What the fuck ?" Mal hissed, talking the slightly younger girl aside, where they could talk without anyone hearing them. "Did you smoke pot again ?" 

Jenko rolled her eyes. "I hate Christmas. So yeah, I smoked again." 

Mal's eyes went wide, as she felt the anger growing inside of her. But she knew getting mad wouldn't help. The blonde was shamelessly looking at her, while the brunette was simply observing the signs everyone could see. 

She then shook her head. 

"Why didn't you tell me ?" she then asked, crossing her arms on her chest. 

"What ? You would've come all the way to Seattle to take me somewhere where there is unicorns everywhere or some shit ?" Jenko sarcastically said, not giving a damn about Mal's cold glare. Is she even worried

Mal frowned. "No. I would've offered you to come in Colorado" she then seriously said. "You know the World Cup is important to this team. Hundreds of girls would kill to have your spot, and you just don't care and throw away this honor. I just don't get it." 

The keeper smiled. "Me who thought that you were the only person not judging me for who I am, I obviously was wrong." She then turned around. 

Before she could exit the room for good, Mal's voice reached her ears. 

"I don't think pot is a part of you" the forward said, setting her jaw. "You're so much more than this, and deserve better than self-destruction." 

Jenko froze, but instead of saying something nice, she just said : "Leave me alone." 

With that said, she got out of the room, leaving a speechless Mal behind. How didn't I notice this ? We've talked for one full month ! She immediately felt guilty for worrying that much for a girl that didn't give a shit about herself. 

She just couldn't help it. 

_______________________________________________________

*Roommates for the Colorado camp :

Michelle - Jenko

Julie - Christen

Kelley - Sonnett

Lindsey - Cari

Moe - Mal

Steph - SMew

KMew - Syd

Ashley - Lena

Allie - Tobin

Saskia - Maura

Kealia - Crystal 

Alyssa