Chapter Twelve

That date with Remus in the Three Broomsticks was magical. From there things went well, and I was wondering if perhaps it was going to well to be true. But I haven't woken up yet, so it must be.
        I'm terribly sorry I haven't shared all of the details. It all kind of blurred together, you know? So many moments sitting out on the Black Lake, kissing in hidden corners of the castle, and many double dates with Lily and James. I don't know how or why, but Remus seems to have forgiven me, and I'm glad. It's almost like old times again.
        Sometimes it'll come back to me, those horrible words I said. They'll hit me like bricks in the middle of a sentence, and I'll just trail off and hope Remus doesn't notice. I still feel awfully guilty for what I said, and I know he can tell. I just hope he looks past it.
        My seventh year at Hogwarts is almost over. I've already got an internship at the Ministry; I'll be a secretary in the Auror's office during the summer until my training starts in the fall. I can't believe they actually accepted me for it, but I'm excited.
        I put together all of my savings and put a deposit down on an apartment in London, and Remus will be living with me. He keeps telling me I should just let him live on the streets, but I'll never let that happen. I know he'll make it up to me in one way or another.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

        I never really thought I'd get a happy ending.
        My life wasn't something you read about in books. I am no princess or beautiful girl with any extraordinary talents (well, except being a witch) like all of the heroines. I have no evil queen out for my blood.
        And yet here I am, sitting in my small apartment, typing this. Remus bought me the used typewriter with the money from his summer job at a Muggle bookstore. He thought I should write my story down. He said, "it's nice and beautiful, like you." and of course I was flattered.
        I don't know where these pages will end up. I don't know who will read them. I just hope you find some entertainment out of them.
        My summer internship at the Ministry is going surprisingly well. The Aurors seem to like me, which will be a good thing if I make it through training. I'm the second best intern in my group, behind Frank Longbottom. He and I have a competition going now, trying to see who can end the summer on top. And I'm totally going to wind up owning him the five Galleons. He's the best Auror slash secretary I've ever seen.
        Remus has gotten interested in teaching. He says he's always been kind of interested in it, but "no one wants to hire a werewolf." But, apparently he talked to Dumbledore about it, and Dumbledore said it would be a possibility. I have a feeling that Remus will get the job as soon as the current professor resigns, which should be soon. No one ever really seems to hold down the job.
        Lily and James are getting married soon. They don't have an exact date, but whenever I ask Lily just points at her ring and tells me, "Soon." She's been saying that for about a month now, so I don't think soon will be for a while.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

        Remus walks through the door, shrugging off his shabby coat and flinging it over the armchair. He hugs me from behind and whispers, "How's the diary?"
"It's not a diary," I say for the billionth time. "Diaries imply that you write every day, and you write explicitly about your day. I'd say it's more of an autobiography-"
"Okay, okay," he smiles. "How's the autobiography?"
"Same as always."
"Good? Good. Guess what?"
"What?"
"I finally found out when 'soon' is."
It takes me a second, but I finally figure out what he says. "Oh! When are they getting married?"
"September sometime. They don't have a set date. Lily wants you to come over tomorrow so she can talk about girly wedding things with you."
"Yay," I mutter sarcastically, and Remus chuckles.
"I found a book in the storage room today," he says, walking over to his jacket and taking it out of his jacket.
        He hands it to me, and I rip open the paper that covers it curiously. It's Gone With the Wind, a book I haven't thought about or read in what seems like years, when it was really only, what, two years ago? Time flies.
"Thank you," I whisper. "I haven't read it in ages; I don't know where my copy is."
Remus frowns. "Don't you remember?"
"Remember what?"
"When I first started talking to you, you were reading that book. I asked you about it and you teased me for not reading it. And, well, I wanted to get you something from the store, and I realized you didn't have the copy anymore, so-"
        I kiss him sweetly, stopping his words. If I didn't he'd probably talk for an hour more about it. Plus, it was such a sweet thing for him to do. He must've worked his ass off to buy the book, just like he did to get my typewriter.
He pulls away and takes the book gently from my hands. "I really wanted to buy you the book because I wanted you to read it to me." He admits. "I like your reading voice. And your voice in general." He blushes, and I smile. "God, that was cheesy. Sorry."
        I take the book from his hands, and walk over to our small sofa. I plop down on one of the cushions and open up to the first page. I begin reading the first paragraph but Remus stops me, taking the book from my hands.
"Hey!" I protest.
"Sorry," he says, flipping through the book. He seems nervous. "I just realized it'll take too long... Hold on... I want to hear you read this one page. It's got this quote I love... I want to hear you say it..."
Confused, I wait for him to find the page. It takes him a while because his hands are shaking, but eventually he manages to find it. He hands me the book again, and I grab it from him, clearing my throat.
I don't see why Remus is having me read this page until I'm about halfway down, reading, "... "Hush," he said. "I am asking you to marry me. Would you be convinced if I knelt down?” " I get about halfway through the next sentence when it really hits me.
        I drop the book and it falls the floor with a loud thump. I'm staring straight ahead, and my jaw feels like it's hitting the floor. I can feel Remus looking at me expectantly, but I can't think of a word to say. I can't even move. I can't think.
"Bria Noble," he says, turning my face towards his and fishing out a small, simple silver ring from his pocket with his other hand. He holds it out to me, and it's so beautifully simple. "Will you marry me?"
        I stare at the ring. Remus is waiting for an answer. I can feel him getting nervous. His hand is still resting against my cheek, and I can feel it starting to shake. "I-I-" I'm so flustered, I can't even think. I don't know I don't know I don't know. How do I even accept it? I can't think of the damn word, and it's a simple word, a really simple word, words babies use and I can't think of it! Remus is so nervous and I want to accept but I'm frozen and I can't think of the damn word for... for... for...
"Yes." I sigh. "Yes."
I throw my arms around him, and I feel him breathe a sigh of relief. He's crying and I'm crying and he puts the ring around my finger. "I wish I could get you something better." he murmurs.
"It's beautiful. It's perfect." I reply, and it really is.