Chapter Ten

"You all know the drill." Professor Ravensdale says, brushing her long brown hair behind her shoulders. "Patronuses again. Go." She flicks her wand, and all of the desks and chairs in the room get pushed to the walls.
Lily comes running over to me. "This is it!" She says excitedly, practically jumping up and down.
"Yep." I agree, watching Remus warily across the room. It doesn't look like he's trying very hard to conjure his Patronus; I can imagine why.
"Well, what're you waiting for?" Lily shrieks, elbowing me. 
"Oh. Yeah." I clear my throat dramatically, and Lily rolls her eyes. "Expecto Patronum." I murmur, concentrating on my memories of good times with Remus.
        The wolf steps shyly out of the mist, glancing around the room. I watch it, and it seems just about uncomfortable as I am, which makes sense. It takes a few careful steps forward, and soon everyone seems to see it. They all stop what they're doing, pointing and whispering.
"Very nice, Ms. Noble!" Professor Ravensdale remarks from her desk. "Extra credit! Great work."
"Thank you." I reply, looking up to see Remus's reaction; He's staring at my Patronus.
"Back to work, everyone." Ravensdale says, and slowly everyone goes back to trying to conjure their Patronuses.
"Damn." Lily huffs, crossing her arms. "I was sure he'd at least say something to y-"
"Nice Patronus." I whip around, and there he is, standing there with the smallest trace of a smile on his face.
Lily's mouth is hanging open, and she's looking back and forth between us like we're in a tennis match. "I'll-I'll see if James needs any help." She says, leaving us alone.
"Thanks." I reply. "What's yours?"
"I haven't been able to cast a Corporeal Patronus yet."
"That's a load of crap, Remus. You're the best at Defense Against the Dark Arts in our Year."
"Well, it's what you'd expect it to be." He admits. 
"A wolf or-"
"Wolf."
"Oh." Lily will die of happiness when she hears this, I think. 
Then the bell rings, and it's time for lunch. "Well.. bye." say awkwardly, turning around to go find Lily.
"Bria... Wait." Remus calls out, and I turn back around, raising an eyebrow. "I was wondering... There's a Hogsmeade trip on Saturday, and I was wondering-"
"Yes." I interrupt.
"What?" He asks.
"Yes, I'll go with you. As-as a friend." I stutter, trying to make things less awkward. 
"Okay." He agrees. "Meet me in the Great Hall at noon."
"Sounds good." I squeak, turning around again.
"And Bria," He calls, making me turn around again. "Did you-did you cut your hair?"
I frown. "Yeah, just a few inches. Why?"
"It-it looks nice." He says, and then he turns around and walks away quickly, leaving me standing there, confused.