{2} And I've been denying this feeling of hopelessness In me

Band: Evanescence / Song: Lost In Paradise

Emily Roberts

''Miss.'' A female voice echoed through my head. ''Miss.'' The same voice echoed through my head a second time a little louder which made me open up my eyes. I saw the flight attendant standing right above my head, so I sat up instantly. The two seats beside me were vacant so I took the opportunity and took a nap. ''Sorry to disturb your sleep, but we are almost landing and we need everyone with their seat belts on.''

''Sure.'' I obeyed giving her a warm smile, which she returned and went on awakening the other passengers. It's been a long flight and a really long day. I can't believe I'm almost stepping foot in Miami. After the hell I've been thought, I deserve something good in my life.

''Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, captain speaking. In about five minutes we will be landing at Miami International Airport. Please make sure that your seat belts are fastened and your trays are raised. Thanks for flying with American Airlines. Hope to see you soon.'' Captain announced on the speaker and I did as he said.

***

The landing was smooth. I was actually very lucky with my flights today. Both of them were really pleasant. I've missed flying a lot. I let the people that were in the seats behind me leave the plane first, after all, I'm not really in a hurry and then when I saw that the coast was clear I grabbed my purse and my coat, that I don't think I will be needing and exited the plane.

Yap, the weather was just how I like. Warm. Oh, the beaches here! I'll finally be able to get tanned! No more 'You look like snow white queen' for me.

I hurried to the inside of the airport to grab my bag. I hate waiting, but I don't have an option. Even if this isn't JFK, this is still one of the busiest airports in the country.

But contrary to my expectations, I was done within fifteen minutes. Well well, looks like God is up there and sending all his help in one day. Don't misunderstand me! It's better now than never.

''Taxi!'' I shouted running with my bag over my shoulder trying to pass through all the people that were at the entrance. ''Good afternoon!'' I greeted the cab driver still trying to catch my breath.

''Good afternoon sweetheart.'' The men greeted me back. He was probably in his sixties, very tall and tanned. In some way, he reminded me of my grandfather. I lost him when I was 14 and I was really close to him. It was a really tough time for me to overcome. He was the person who took care of me when I was little and he was such an impressive human being. He was one of those people who make you believe in the salvation of the human race. ''Let me help you with your bag.'' He said offering his hand to hold my bag for me and to put it on the door luggage.

''Thank you.'' I murmured under my breath. I took the chance and opened the passenger door and took a seat waiting for the driver. He came right after.

''Where are you from?'' The men inquired me taking a seat and putting on his seat belt.

''Canada.'' I replied with a smile. I know I'm lying, but he doesn't need to know that. My plan here is to keep a low profile. ''More specifically Toronto.'' I added.

''Me and my wife always wanted to go there, but we never found the opportunity. Maybe when I retire.'' He informed starting the car.

''You really should. It's a beautiful country.'' I encouraged him. I know that it is because I already been there. It's an amazing country. CN tower it's absolutely breathtaking.

''I will.'' He winked an eye at me and I giggled. ''Where are you going Miss?'' He continued now with his eyes on the road.

''Miami University.'' I answer proudly and confident.

''You're really far away from home just to study.'' He stated leaving me kind of speechless. ''Escaping from your parent's control or a controlling ex-boyfriend?'' He asked making a left. This sir is asking a lot of questions for my liking. What's up with some taxi drivers who always want to know your darkest secrets?

''I'm not escaping from anything.'' I informed. ''Just wanted a fresh start away from home.'' I added letting out a little chuckle slightly mixed with a little embarrassment.

''Sorry if I'm asking this personal questions...'' Actually, you are. ''It's just that I have a granddaughter that is probably the same age as you and you remind me a lot of her.''

''I have one of those faces.'' I chuckled.

''That's probably it.'' He concluded before stopping the car. ''Here we are. Miami University!'' He said lifting his hands to show me the view.

I stepped out of the car, closed my eyes and pinched myself. I slowly opened them.

I'm here. I'm actually here. ''Mom this is for you.'' I murmured looking at the sky. I hope that wherever she is, she is proud of me.

''Miss.'' The voice of the cab driver brought me back from my spacing. I totally forgot that the man was still there.

''Oh, I'm so sorry!'' I quickly apologized. ''How much do I own you?'' I asked reaching for my wallet.

''Nothing.'' The man cut me off making a sign for me to keep my money.

''No no.'' I shacked my head. ''You brought me here. You wasted gas and your time. Please let me pay you.'' I insisted on trying to give him the money again but he didn't let me.

''Keep your money.'' He said offering me a genuine smile. ''I won't die without your twenty dollars.'' He said grinning. ''Use it to buy a book. Or to get drunk at those crazy college parties.'' He added laughing and then started the car. ''Hope you find the fresh start you've been looking for.'' He stated and drove off, leaving me there, standing at the entrance of the University.

Ok, it's time to get in.

After one hour of filling in forms, they gave me a key for my room. Good thing I'm eighteen, so I don't need my parents to sign anything. They also told me that I will have a roommate. Not bad. I just hope that it isn't a guy because the dorms are mixed. I left the office and walked to my building.

The halls were all pretty empty. I saw some kids like me trying to find their rooms also. I feel your pain. Room 263... Room 263... Found it! I put the key on the lock and opened the door.

Thank you god! By the things that are spread from all over the room, the pink bed sheets and high heels under the bed, it's definitely a girl. But hey, nowadays maybe it isn't. I don't know.

I walked inside and placed my bag on top of the bed. From looking around I saw that we have a bathroom inside the room. Good. I hate the idea of walking half-naked around the campus.

I don't have half as many personal objects that this girl or boy has. I only brought my mother's photo and the teddy bear that I won when I was eight at Coney Island.

Suddenly, I heard someone clearing their throat. ''Who are you? And what are you doing here?'' I voice coming from behind me made me jumped by surprise which made me turned around.

''Emily.'' I informed her right away. ''I'm your new roommate I suppose.'' I added putting my hand for a handshake. The girl standing in front of me had really long blonde hair and blue eyes. Must be one of the most popular girls around here. Just hope that she is cool because I don't want college dramas. She was a little suspicious at the first but shook it back. ''And you?''

''Victoria.'' She answered this time with a smile. ''But you can call me Tori.''

______________________

Chapter 2 is out !

Emily is in Miami already! Are you excited about what's coming? You better be eheh

MG