The End

Chapter Twenty-seven

I registered Rachel's screams but couldn't bring myself to move. At least not until Laiken's eyes fluttered shut and didn't open again. Then I moved. Despite my limbs feeling like jelly, I managed to push past Rachel and grab Laiken. I shook him frantically.

"We need to get back to land!" Rachel practically shrieked. She seemed borderline hysterical.

I snapped my gaze up to Rachel and somehow mustered up a calming smile. "Yes. Please."

Rachel blinked at me, tears streaming freely down her face. She pulled at her cheeks, nodded and hurried off.

I returned my attention to Laiken. He was still breathing, which was probably a good thing. However, he seemed to be missing the lower section of his tail, leaving nothing but a bloody stump in its place. The deck was rapidly turning pink due to the rain washing the blood away. Slowly I realised that I needed to stop the bleeding.

I pulled off my jacket, shot Laiken a worried look and pressed it to the stump. Almost immediately it was soaked in blood. I held back the whine that threatened to escape me. Instead I fiercely blinked back tears and looked around for something else to use.

I found nothing.

Deciding to was worth it to risk leaving Laiken unsupervised for a moment, I got to my feet and scrabbled to the cabins. I pulled the blankets and bedding off the beds, bunching it up in my arms, and hurried back to Laiken.

Using the blankets, I fashioned them into a makeshift bandage and pressed it to the stump. I pressed the pillows and bedding against it as well. Then I crossed my legs and resigned myself to waiting.

                                    •

I was really beginning to hate hospitals.

I half-listened to the doctor prattling away about something. Eventually the doctor realised that I wasn't listening and sighed. He left, muttering something about just telling Mom. I waited until the door closed behind the doctor before climbing out of bed.

My own clothes were neatly folded on a chair, untouched since I'd been forced to change so the doctors could examine me. I changed out of the hospital garments quickly, feeling surprisingly relieved despite wearing damp clothes.

Following our borderline chaotic return to land, Austin had insisted on bringing me to the hospital, despite my protests. In the end, he simply picked me up and put me in the car, strapping me in so I couldn't leave. Laiken had been strapped in beside me and covered with Austin's jacket. I was dropped off at the hospital, Austin saying that he'd be back to pick me up after he dropped Rachel at her house and took Laiken back to ours. That had been hours ago.

I slipped out of my room and looked cautiously down the corridors. I set off down the corridor, fully intending to just walk out of the hospital and go home. My plan was ruined however, when I passed Jett's room and looked in.

Jett was laying on the bed, glaring at the ceiling. I faltered and stared at him for several seconds before ducking my head shyly and entering the room.

"Hey," I greeted.

Jett turned his head towards me. A broad smile immediately broke out onto his face. "Babe."

I tentatively approached the bed. Jett automatically scooted over and patted the spot beside him. I lifted myself onto the bed, finding that it took more out of me than I thought it would. I pecked Jett's cheek and rested my head on his shoulder. Jett immediately slung his arm around my waist, pulling me closer.