Jett

Chapter Twenty-Two

I stood in front of Jett's apartment.

After a quick discussion with the twins and Laiken at breakfast, I'd decided to tell Jett everything. I figured it was the best thing to do, considering how the shark man had threatened to kill him.

I drew in a deep breath and knocked on the door. While I waited for Jett to answer it, I went over what I was going to say. Halfway through my speech, the door opened.

"Jet—" I cut myself off abruptly and stared at the woman who had answered the door.

She definitely wasn't his family, I've met all of them. She looked roughly Jett's age and she was staring at me in confusion.

"Is Jett here?" I finally asked, my voice little more than an embarrassed squeak.

"Jett? Yeah he is. Wanna come in?" The girl spoke with a thick Australian accent. I felt my heart drop in despair as I nodded feebly. The girl moved to the side and gestured into the apartment. I shuffled in.

"I'll go get him, he's in his room," the girl said. She closed the door behind me and wondered off towards Jett's room.

I stood stiffly, unable to bring myself to move. My eyes darted uneasily around the apartment, trying to find anything out of place, anything that might've gone unnoticed before that hinted at the existence of this other girl.

"Angie! Babe!" Jett called as he exited his room. He approached and wrapped his arms around me, pressing his lips to my hair as he did so. I hesitantly hugged him back, unsure if I was allowed to.

"Oh, so this is the infamous Angelica? Jett speaks about you too much," the strange girl said, poking her head around the doorway.

I pulled away from Jett. My mouth opened and closed several times, trying to get out the words needed to ask the question, "Who is she?" Thankfully Jett appeared to understand what I was trying to ask and guided me over to his couch. I collapsed into it. Jett dropped down beside me and gingerly took my hands in his.

"That's Thalassa. She's from Australia," he said.

"Ok..." I didn't know what else to say. I was mentally preparing myself, waiting for the imminent break up.

"She's here to help me pack," Jett continued. He paused and studied me carefully. I made sure to keep my face expressionless despite the turmoil in my head.

"Remember how I was telling you I applied to this Australian university?" Jett trailed off uneasily. I nodded hesitantly. It had an amazing marine sciences faculty that Jett was trying to get into. Jett broke into a wide grin and said, "I got in!"

Somehow I found myself smiling and laughing along with Jett. He pulled me towards him and kissed me.

"I'm gonna go continue sorting out your junk," Thalassa said awkwardly.

I carefully placed my hand on Jett's chest and he reluctantly pulled away.

"I'm so happy for you," I whispered.

Jett grinned dopily at me and rested his forehead against mine. "I was gonna tell you yesterday but then you send that weird text and I decided not to." His hands moved up to rest on either side of me and my hands automatically went up to rest gently on his.

"When do you go?" I asked quietly.

Jett paused and a guilty look passed over his face. He slowly pulled away from me. Gingerly he took my hands in his and began running his thumbs over my knuckles. I watched him carefully. The knot in my stomach tightened itself.