Rachel Finds Out

Chapter Seventeen

The aquarium was crowded when I arrived. As I stood by the entrance, nervously wringing the strings of my raincoat, I wondered why there were so many people. As far as I was aware, the mermaid hadn't gone up on display yet.

A group of kids a few years younger than me pushed past, laughing as I stumbled. I felt my face burn in embarrassment and ducked my head. I took several deep breaths and set off in search of Rachel.

A very quick search of the claustrophobic aquarium proved that Rachel wasn't anywhere in the building. I decided to check the staff area and took a moment to go over what exactly I was going to ask Rachel. I repeated it softly under my breath as I made my way over to the Staff Only doors.

I kept my head down while I walked, trying not to draw unnecessary attention to myself. I was vaguely aware of whispering around me and tried not to listen to what they saying.

Suddenly I was stopped by a little girl, who simply grabbed my sleeve. I jumped and snapped my eyes down to her.

"How do you do that?" the girl asked.

"Do what?" I asked uneasily.

The little girl simply lifted her hand and pointed to the tanks. I turned slowly. My eyes grew large as I realized that, in all the tanks, the fish were behind me, gaping silently at me.

"They were following you...how'd you get them to do that?" the girl asked.

"I don't know," I breathed in awe. I inched closer to the glass and nervously laid my palm against it. The fish immediately crowded around it. I snappishly withdrew my hand. The fish remained put, staring at me with their dead eyes.

Trying, unsuccessfully, to hide the shudder that ran through me, I spun away from the tanks and hurried on.

I pushed through the Staff Only doors and rushed out to the pools. I could already see a group gathering at the last pool, the one the mermaid had been in last time I'd been here.

I hesitated, gazing uncertainly at the staff in front of me. I drummed my fingers on my thighs, squared my shoulders and moved forward. I squeezed through the group, keeping my eyes peeled for Rachel. As it turned out, Rachel was extremely easy to spot. She easily towered over the rest of the staff.

I made my way over to Rachel and nervously tapped her shoulder. She looked back, frowned and looked down. Her mouth curved into a smile and she turned around carefully.

"Angie!" she trilled.

"Rachel," I greeted.

Rachel pouted and drew me into a tight hug. She patted my hair, cooing softly. I endured it for several moments before struggling away and backing out of the crowd. As expected, Rachel followed closely behind me. We left the pools and entered the empty break room.

"What's up?" asked Rachel with a grin, leaning against the lockers.

"Nothing...Work..." I said lamely. I frowned and picked at my barely there nails. I glanced at the pool and asked weakly, "What's happening?"

"The mermaid died," Rachel with a casual shrug.

I gaped at her. I floundered for words for several seconds before asking hoarsely, "What happened?"

"I'm not sure. Dad went to check on her this morning and she was dead. Decomposing even...or whatever she was doing. She was turning into foam," Rachel replied. She nonchalantly examined her nails and wiped some nonexistent dirt from it.