Male French Names 1

Start from the beginning

AMAURY: Variant form of Norman French Emaurri, meaning "work-power."

AMBROISE: French form of Latin Ambrosius, meaning "immortal."

AMÉ: French name meaning "beloved."

AMÉDÉÉ: French form of Latin Amadeus, meaning "to love God."

ANASTASE: French form of Latin Anastasius, meaning "resurrection."

ANATOLE: French form of Latin Anatolius, meaning "east" and "sunrise."

ANCEL: Variant spelling of French Ansel, meaning "divine helmet."

ANCELL: Variant spelling of French Ansell, meaning "divine helmet."

ANDRÉ: French form of Greek Andreas, meaning "man; warrior."

ANDRIEN: French form of Greek Andreas, meaning "man; warrior."

ANDRION: Variant spelling of French Adrien, meaning "from Hadria." This form of the name can be found in An Index to the Given Names in the 1292 Census of Paris, by Colm Dubh.

ANGE: French name meaning "angel, messenger." Compare with feminine Ange.

ANSEL: Contracted form of French Anselme, meaning "divine helmet."

ANSELL: Variant spelling of French Ansel, meaning "divine helmet."

ANSELME: French form of German Anselm, meaning "divine helmet."

ANTOINE: French form of Latin Antonius, possibly meaning "invaluable."

ANTONIN: French form of Latin Antoninus, possibly meaning "invaluable."

AOUSTEN: Old form of French Augustin, meaning "venerable."

APOLLINAIRE: French form of Roman Latin Apollinaris, meaning "of Apollo."

ARCHIMBAUD: French form of German Archimbald, meaning "genuine courage."

ARISTIDE: French form of Latin Aristides, meaning "best physique."

ARLUIN: Variant spelling of Norman French Herluin, meaning "noble friend" or "noble warrior."

ARMAN: Variant spelling of Old French Armand, meaning "bold/hardy man." Compare with another form of Arman.

ARMAND: Old French form of German Harmand, meaning "bold/hardy man."

ARMEL: French form of Welsh Arthfael, Old Breton Arthmael, meaning "bear chief" or "warrior prince."

ARNAUD: Norman French form of German Arnwald, meaning "eagle power."

ASCE: Norman French form of German Azzo, meaning "noble at birth."

ASTOR: French and German name derived from Occitan astor, meaning "goshawk," itself from Latinacceptor, a variant of accipiter, meaning "hawk." It was originally a derogatory term for men with hawk-like, predatory characteristics.

ATHANASE: French form of Greek Athanasios, meaning "immortal."

AUBEN: Variant spelling of Norman French Aubin, meaning "from Alba."

AUBERON: Variant form of Norman French Alberi, meaning "elf ruler."

AUBERT: French form of Old High German Adalbert, meaning "bright nobility."

AUBIN: Norman French form of English Albin, meaning "like Albus," i.e. "white."

AUDRIC: French form of German Aldrich, meaning "old ruler; long time ruler."