Chapter 2

I'm in the huge auditorium, seated right in front of the stage along with the rest of the Queenstrial girls. I can see some of them rocking in their seat, their expressions betraying their anxiousness. A grin lingers on the tips of my lips, because, unlike the rest of the girls, I am certain they have picked me.

"Aren't you afraid at all?" The girl beside me asks, beads of perspiration littered all over her face. "I'm Evangeline by the way, House of Samos." She adds, giving me a quick yet quirky smile. She extends a hand and I shake it. "I'm Mare.." "...from the House of Barrows." She finishes for me. We exchange a smile, realising that we don't really need to introduce ourselves. Our house colours imprinted on our clothes make it pretty obvious for the both of us.

The King and his family appear from the curtains, with the men in their full suits and the queen in a dark velvet gown. Cal and Maven have numerous badges and medals sprawled all over their chest, all of them catching the spotlight and reflecting it towards the audience. They both take a seat next to the queen, the King stepping forward onto the podium.

"My subjects," the King shouts, his calm and refined demeanour clearly expressed in his tone. His voice enforces silence amongst the crowd, all have fallen into a respectful silence. "I apologise for the sudden termination of the Queenstrial event yesterday. But today," He says, raising his index finger in the air, "I shall announce the winners of this season's Queenstrial."

Seasons. The King makes it sound like a television show that airs every decade.

The crowd bursts in excitement, every family yelling out the names of their representatives. Evangeline nudges me and when I turn to face her, she gestures her chin at Cal. He's looking at me and after what feels like forever, he gives a sweet smile before looking down in embarrassment. I feel my blood rush to my cheeks and I reach up and cover them, focusing on my lap. Not the time to fangirl over the prince, I say to myself. "Looks like you've already made progress on getting to know them," Evangeline says, her voice showing a glint of sadness. I find myself reaching out and giving her shoulder a quick squeeze, reassuring her. "Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get picked too."

The crowd suddenly quietens and Evangeline and I look up to see the King holding up his hand high in the air, appealing for the crowd's silence once again. He reaches inside his suit coat and pulls out an envelope, possibly carrying the names of the 2 lucky girls who'll get to marry either of the princes.

"I shall begin," he says, his lips pulled into a tight smile. "There were 2 astounding women who have clearly shown what it means to have Strength and Power. It was a close fight but we have come to a final decision. Please step forward if I call your name: Evangeline Samos." Evangeline responds in shock and she struggles to get on her feet. She's trembling, like a tree in a storm. "You are to be wed to my eldest son, Prince Maven Calore. Congratulations." The hall explodes in applause, but nothing can match her expression. Her jaw almost touches the floor and it takes her a while to process on what has just occurred. After a minute or so, she takes a seat beside me. There are tears in her eyes, glistening and refracting the spotlight directed at her.

"Next, Mare Barrows." The King resumes. I stand and I feel the intensity of everyone's stares. "You are to be wed to my youngest son, Prince Tiberias Calore the seventh. Congratulations." I reach up and cup my cheeks in my hands again, hiding the blush that has once again chosen to creep up on my cheeks.

"May I invite the women onto the stage?" the King requests and Evangeline and I make our way together towards the stage. "Did we really just win?" She whispers beside me. I nod, still shocked at what had just happened. We step onto the platform and walk towards the King. He turns and gestures at the boys and they instantly stand and walk up to us. Cal approaches me and he comfortably wraps an arm around my waist. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Barrows. Have we met before?" He whispers gently into my ear sarcastically. I look down and smile, shaking my head. "Ladies and gentlemen, the winners of the Queenstrial and the Princes of Norta!" The King yells in sheer excitement, and the crowd breaks into a loud applause.