Chapter V

MAX P.O.V.

"I will always keep you safe, Kate." I whisper softly in her ear.
"I know you will, Max. You're always there." She grabs my hand and kisses it, sending sparks of electricity through my entire body.
"Because you're an angel, and you deserve the very best, Kate"

"Even angels need angels." She responds, and leans in to kiss me.
"I love you, Max. With all my heart, I do." We kiss again. My heart feels like it's about to explode.

"I love you too, marshmellow."

At that moment I wanted to stop time forever. A perfect ending to a perfect love story. But it never goes that way. Does it?
didn't tell Kate about Victoria. It would break her. She's just found her belief and hope again, and I can't just crush that. I would never hurt her like that.

And with a yelling nurse our perfect safe cocoon burst open, brutally pulling us back to the cruel reality of this world.
"Visiting time has been over for more than an hour already. This is against hospital rules!" A nurse appeared in the doorway. Her head was swollen and red, and she had a nose like a pig. I will spare you by not describing her sweaty body or enormous hangtits, but she was capital U Ugly.

"Guess I'll be going, then, little marshmellow. Time flies when I'm with you."
She looks kind of sad, making me want to rewind time to hide from the nurse and spend the entire night cuddling her. If only I could do that.
"Don't look sad, sweetheart. I'll come back ASAP!"

"I love you, Maxine Caulfield. Give Alice a carrot from me. As soon as the doctors deem me stable enough to function in society I'll be out of here. I don't expect it to be long. And oh, if you have time, you can always go and take some pictures for my new childrens book. I want your art in there." She takes my hand as I stand up and squeezes it gently. I make way to the door and face the nurse. She removes her collosal body aside, opening a passage for me to squeeze through.

"Now go sleep, girl." She snarls at Kate.

"Oh, trust me sister, I'm already dreaming." I can feel her smile. It warms my heart.

I push myself between  the door and  Snorlax and set my way off to Blackwell, with more butterflies in my stomach than i could ever imagine.

I had the most amazing dream that night. I dreamt of running away with her, to far exotic lands, with a little mobilhome. We had a bed, a fridge, a shower and a bath and a tea kettle. We were the happiest pair on earth. God it was so cliché, but so damn good.

When I finally got to class, I saw principal Wells waiting outside of his office. When he sees me he raises his eyebrows and runs up to me. "Max, could you come with me for a second?"

I sigh. "Is this about Victoria?" I ask, rather unimpressed.

"No. Although I am aware of that, this is about something- or someone else entirely."

I follow him to his office. There are two neatly clothed men sitting around his desk. The one is rather tall and had a very stern face, the other one has a very round head, but a friendly expression on his face.

"Hello, miss Caulfield." Speaks the tall one of the pair with a monotome voice. We are detectives from the Arcadia police department. We are here to investigate a crime. Could we ask you a few questions, please?"

They gesture me to sit down.
"Uh, yeah sure I guess." I say as i grab the chair. I sit down and put my hands on my lap.

The long detective, I'll call him Bobby from now on, pulled a photograph out of the green folder that lies in front of him and slides it over to me.

"We are investigating this girl. He taps his finger on the picture. Do you, by any chance know her?"

I take a look at the picture and shrug. "I'm afraid I'm going to have to dissapoint you guys. I have never seen her around here.

"Take another look. Look very precisely, miss Caulfield." The other one, Billy for now, said.

"I'm sorry guys. I really don't know her. I mean, her hair would've stuck somewhere in my head. You don't see that color all day. What happened to her?"

"She was shot in the bathroom, here at Blackwell. We're trying to keep this quiet so please, can we agree this kind of information to stay confidential?"

"Ofcourse, sir." I answer politely. "Maybe a name would help me ring a bell?

Bobby takes a deep breath. "Chloe Price."

I take another look at the picture, and study her face very carefully. My eyes pierce in hers. I bring the picture closer to my eyes. Is this..?

"Do you remember something?" Billy asks, with hints of impatience in his voice.

I hold my breath for a second, and then release it, together with the photo.

"Nope, nothing. I wish I could've been of more help to you guys. I'm sorry."

"Okay. That will be all, waving me off with his hand."

"Poor girl, I hope she will find peace." I think to myself as I stand up and make way to the door. The door opens before I get there, though, and I cross paths with no one less than Victoria. She gives me an evil glance and a slygrin. She's up to no good.

"Hello detectives." She says, still with her eyes locked on me with an iron grip. "I might have some information that could be of help to the investigation."

I leave the room, and go sit against a locker on the floor. Just a quick breath before returning to my classes.

I grab my cellphone and send Kate a text message.

"Hey Marshmellow, Have you heard about the girl with the blue hair that got shot? Tragic! I'll come over after school ASAP, I miss you ^-^
Love you xoxo"

It just hit sent and I already got a reply, like she's been waiting for a message all day.

"Nice Emoji! ^-^ No i haven't heard of it, but I'll pray for her soul. You better come over, I have great news for you (and psst i miss you)!
Love you. Xoxoxo

I sigh deeply. You know what? I've already finished the paper we were supposed to work on, I won't feel a single hour of skipping class.
I push myself on my feet and follow my heart to the hospital.