Chapter II

Kate's P.O.V.

The hospital is boring, plain white walls with plain white light that just screams disease and depression. I miss my room at Blackwell, my little bunny, and Max, my only friend.

When she walked me down that roof, everyone greeted us like heroes. I didn't feel as sad as I did then, because I felt her arm around mine, pressing me against her. I swear I can still feel her warmth course through my body. It gave me strength. My social media page is full of supportive messages by a lot of Blackwell students including Victoria. Those messages mean nothing to me. I read them all, one by one, with a blank face. I couldn't bring up any kind of emotion. They made me this way. I only want to read one message. But she didn't post one on my Facebook wall, I wonder why.

I grab my phone to send her a quick text, to thank her for what she had done for me, as I didn't hear from her since I got here. I hope she isn't mad with me for some reason? That would kill me.. I owe her my life, It's time to show her my gratitude. (And I kind of just wanted a reason to speak with her, but I'm not saying that out loud.)

I try to send her a text, but I just can't figure out what to tell her. Eventually I delete the one line I had typed out and put away my phone. I sigh deeply. I wish she would just come over. I want to feel her warmth again. It made me feel closer to a human being than I had felt for a long time.

I lay down my head and close my eyes. I sob lightly. I finally feel rejuvenated with hope again.

When I opened my eyes again I saw two familiar sparkly blue eyes staring down upon me. Maxine.

I shoot out of my bed, straight into her arms. "Maxine! Maxine!" I yell out, tears roll down my cheeks, and I sob uncontrollably. I grab her and pull her close to me.

"Woah, Kate!" she laughs nervously. I missed you too. You've regained some colour in your cheeks! That's great! You know, I really miss you, so I just hopped in for a quick visit. Unless, you, eh, don't , eh , want me here?"

"Oh, Max, I release her from my firm grip and sit down on my bed patting next to me, showing her to sit there. She comes sit next to me, and I shuffle closer to her. "Ofcourse I don't mind, I wanted to text you, but I didn't quite know what to say. You saved my life! You have my eternal gratitude, and my father's too." I hug her again and grab her hand. Tiny bolts of electricity travel up from my arm and race through my body from the skin to skin contact. It's exciting, and I feel warm again. I never want her to leave again.

"You're my friend, Kate, It's what friends do." She smiles and looks into my eyes. She looks tired, but she doesn't show. When she breaks our eye contact that lingered on for a while she grabbed her bag and pulled a polaroid out of it. She reaches out to me and gives me the picture. I look down upon it. It's a polaroid of Alice, my little bunny and Max holding her. I smile like an idiot. "I wanted you to have it, so you know Alice is in good care. She misses you too, and can't wait for you to come home to us."

I feel like crying, like laughing and even dancing, but I also just want to lay down and sleep for five years. I'm an emotional rollercoaster. I always feel like that when Max is around. I go from feeling nothing at all to tasting every emotion that's inside of me. Some kind of otherworldly feel. Like God himself imbued me with his love.

Love. Is that what I'm feeling?