C.4~ Everywhere I Go

Start from the beginning

"Miss Lowe? The doctor is ready to see you." The words fell dry in Xavier's mouth as we both turned around to face the elderly woman at the desk. After a second I reached down and picked up the carrier, starting toward the nurse hanging halfway out a door and away from Xavier.

"Beatrice, think about what you're doing. You could possibly ruin your reputation, your whole life!" He was beside me again, his hand locking around my forearm. I tried to shake him off, but his grip was too tight.

"Why do you even care?" I snapped, "What is my life when I can't help an innocent baby's? You don't understand what it's like to feel like you were never wanted, to feel like an outcast in every foster home you end up in." I ripped my arm from his grip and stalked away, only to feel him on my tail once again.

"You can't do it, Beatrice. If I had the grades, a career ahead of me like you do, I wouldn't let someone else ruin that." I shook my head, trying to ignore him as we stopped in front of a vacant room. 

"She's an infant, Xavier. I would have wanted someone to help Brice and I when we were children, but no one was ever there to help us. My mother and I are going to be here for Lily, screw what everyone else thinks"

"Miss Lowe, good evening. This must be Lily." He said, running a finger along the baby's cheek. "I'm Dr. Issacs and I'll be the one checking out your little bundle of joy here today." The doctor greeted, smiling brightly at Xavier and me. Finally, his eyes rested just on Xavier and he frowned

"Are you the father?" He questioned, scribbling something down on his clipboard. I turned slightly so I could see Xavier's answer, only to find him staring at me with his an entirely unreadable expression.

"Yeah." He finally mumbled, "I guess I am."

**

"Your little girl here is a perfect bill of health. Though Dr. Phillips probably assured you of that." Dr. Issacs said. He had finally turned back to us after what seemed like hours. I nodded, intertwining my fingers on my lap with a forced smile. I was still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Xavier had remained slumped in the uncomfortable black chair the entire hour, or more importantly, why he'd even been here in the first place.

"Other than the fact of her being slightly sleep deprived and dehydrated, she is really healthy. I will give you a few handbooks and a list of the supplies and everything that you may need." Xavier stood up before I could thank the doctor.

"Is she. . . we don't have anywhere for her to stay. Would she be able to sleep in one of our rooms?" Xavier asked. I don't know who was more shocked by the sudden outburst; me or the doctor. The boy beside me had been so silent that I was sure Dr. Issacs had forgotten he was there entirely, he'd just blended into the scenery. I couldn't help but choke on my own questions as I stared hard at Xavier's tense back. Hadn't he literally just been trying to talk me into giving Lily up an hour ago?

Would my mom even allow Xavier to take care of Lily?

"Yes. Cribs are quite easy to assemble, I'm sure a strong young man like you could put one together in no time. I'll be right back." The doctor ducked out of the room, leaving Xavier and me to stare at the baby in the carrier in front of us in silence.

"Xavier?" I whispered, earning a nod out of him for me to go on, but he refused to look in my direction. 

"Why are you helping me?" His expression softened slightly.

"Because I'm a human being, Beatrice. I may be an ass at times, but whoever left that baby asked both of us to take care of her." He responded with a shrug. He moved suddenly, making his way over to the carrier. Once he reached it, he unstrapped the newborn, tucking his large right hand under her small neck before using his other to cradle her against his chest. 

"What were you doing here in the first place?" I blurted, not being able to stop himself. His eyes flickered back toward me and he glared.

"That doesn't matter. Now tell Bumble Bea it doesn't matter, Lily Mae." An involuntary smile stretched across my face as Xavier hugged the baby tightly against him, smiling at her as she reached for his finger.

"Lily Mae? Bumble Bea?" I laughed, raising an eyebrow. He shrugged once more, before looking me right in the eyes with a smirk slowly spreading across his own face.

"If I'm going to go through and help you with this, Beatrice. At least let me have a little fun with it."

***AN***

*Edited*

Sorry for the filler chapter guys. 

I still hope you enjoyed it!

~ChasingMadness24