334

Simon sits, snuggled in his baby blue sweater, on the grass just outside of his virtue classroom. The grass in front of him is short and dead. He had watched Josh cut and kill it during class. Simon often sees Josh anywhere but a classroom. He wonders if Josh skips class. Or maybe Death doesn't make his son take them?

Simon steadily holds his hand above the dead patch of grass. Slowly growing it as he thinks about his opposite. Simon knows Josh has a nice side; he can see the light peek through the dark clouds of Josh's exterior.

"Simon?"

The pastel boy glances upwards to see JJ.

"Hi." Simon responds. His eyes go back to the grass.

"I was looking for you. I got worried. What are you doing?" JJ squats down to get a closer look.

"Regrowing the grass." Simon says blankly. The green blades very slowly get taller.

"Reminds me of that saying on Earth, watching grass grow. You know that one? When something's boring?" JJ tries elicit some sort of emotion out of his friend.

"Mhmm."

"Simon are you listening to me or was that a preprogrammed response?" JJ wonders if there's something wrong.

"Mhmm."

JJ slaps Simon a little harder than he'd like to.

"Ah!" Simon shouts and instinctively curls into a ball.

"Sorry buddy but you seemed to be in a trance." JJ pets Simon's hair. He doesn't like to hurt or startle Simon.

"It's okay." Simon uncurls, still shaking. "You had to do it for my own sake." he gives a small smile. "In virtue class today, Ms. Jules-"

"The good looking one with the glasses that look like bubbles?"

"Yep. She gave an assignment where we have to write about something in nature that inspires us."

"That sounds fun. Do you know what you're doing?" JJ keeps the conversation going.

"Yeah. I picked long grass."

"Um, okay. To each his own. Are you gonna stay here and grow yourself some long grass, or do you wanna hang with me?" JJ asks, standing back up. Simon doesn't answer him and remains focused on the grass. "Alright. See ya!" JJ starts shuffling away in hopes Simon changes his mind. Nothing changes. The darker friend pouts that he is walking away alone. Then he stops and looks back. "Oh, and Simon?"

"Yes?"

"Be careful around Josh okay?"

Simon hears him but he isn't listening.
~
Vik paces back in forth in the dark, silent room. Harry is fast asleep. Or at least Vik is 99% sure he is. Vik looks around as if anyone can see him. He wonders last second if he should do this. Maybe he shouldn't interfere with their separation. But what could possibly happen? Who's to even say Harry will remember his dream with Vik...?

Vik takes out his key and unlocks the door back to his home star.

He arrives where he was last left. The front of the school. Him, and Tobi, and everyone else leaving were stood there with the school officials as they all goodbye-d one at a time.

Vik sees that it's nighttime here as well. He's going to have to sneak into JJ's dorm since it's past curfew and he no longer has his pass. So he walked around to the side and climbed up the stone wall. He uses misplaced stones as steps for his feet. He straddled the top, hugging his body against it. He tried to lower his foot but slipped and fell eight feet to the ground. He groans in pain.

"Why didn't I just wait until daytime?" Vik questions himself. "Oh yeah, I'd get caught and Harry. Who's the reason why I'm here..." he grumbles.

Eventually he makes it to the third floor. Vik knocks on the window somewhere between loud enough for JJ to hear and quiet enough it won't draw attention. The sound of footsteps nearing causes him to panic. His eyes frantically search the area to see he is going to get caught. He can feel sweat creeping onto his skin's surface.

"Vik?"

The small boy jumps at his name. He whips back around to see JJ wide awake and staring at him with a surprised look.

"What are you doing here?" Vik ignores JJ's questions and reaches for help so he wouldn't be dangling off the side of building anymore. The boy inside grabs his arms and pulls Vik inside. He closes the window and drops the blinds before either of them can get caught.

"What are you doing awake?" He had thought JJ would be sleeping since he loves to do so. "Aren't you supposed to be asleep?"

"I can't. Now tell me why you're here." JJ crosses his arms.

"I have to ask a favor of you and this is the only window open for us to talk." Vik starts off. "No pun intended."

"A favor?" JJ squints his eyes. What can he do for Vik?

"Well, the boy I'm watching over, Harry remember? He's really sweet and I feel bad that he's just sat alone in that hospital room all day. So,"

"I don't like where this is going."

"I need you to help get me into Harry's dreams." Vik spills out in one breath. A look of disappointment spreads across his friend's face as he buries it in his hands. "I just want to keep him company!"

"... I really don't have the time for this. I just don't." JJ mutters seemingly to himself. Vik doesn't say anything, he waits for a proper response. "Vik there's a reason why there's a wall between us and the Earth people."

"But can you do it?"

"Yes." At least he thinks he can.

"Will you do it?"

"No!"

"Please? For me?" Vik grabs JJ's forearm and begs with a pout and puppy dog eyes. JJ can't help but laugh.

"Maybe..." he chuckles. JJ is too tired to argue aggressively and process anything else. If he can manipulate dreams why not let Vik? "You're going to get us in massive trouble. You know that, right?"

"Not unless we get caught." His eyes dart back and forth.

"You're really willing to risk failing your test to talk to this kid you'll never see again?" JJ reminds him of what is really on the line here. His shorter friend nods his head rapidly. To him, it is so worth the risk. "Fine."

"Thank you so much!" Vik hugs him. He squeezes tightly and mumbles into JJ's side, "I promise this won't go as bad as you think. You'll be able to there to protect us and, I won't tell him about this world. Just me."

"Vik, we all really miss you. Especially the teachers and Simon." JJ tells him. Vik glances up. "I miss you. You were the one person with a good head on their shoulders and who'd take things seriously." They smile at each other - but JJ's immediately falls. "Although that seems to be no more."