øłł

Anxiety. Nerves. Bouncing knees and pointless chatter fills what little space is left in the room full of sixteen year olds. All of them waiting for their assignment. The human, who they will be tested on. Names are being called at random. Every time someone walked out of the office, silence would hit you in the face. The only sound to be made, was a name called out by a deep voice.

Tobi and Vik sit next to each other, holding hands in an attempt to calm their nerves. Their clammy hands stick together like glue.

"Tobi! Vik!"

Both jump, startled. Both of their names had been called and the other kid is still inside the room. They're confused.

It's just Simon. He came rushing towards them in a short pink dress. JJ is trailing behind. He seems to of given up on trying to keep up.

"Simon, don't call our names like that. You got us excited." Vik tells him. He has his free hand on his heart.

"Oops, sorry. I just wanted to make sure I caught you guys before your big reveals." Simon starts digging in his satchel. JJ walks up waving hello.

"It's okay. You look really nice today." Tobi softly touches the boy's dress.

"Thank you! I wanted to dress nice for your special day. Aha! There they are." Simon exclaims pulling two gifts out of his bag. "This flower crown is for you, Vik." he places the crown on his head.

"Thank you! It's so pretty and it matches your dress." Vik smiles.

"Yep, the flowers are called peonies." Simon informs him. "And for Tobi, is this!" He holds out a bracelet made of parrot lilies.

"It's a bracelet. That's different. Why?"

"I remember once, you were telling me about what you learned in class, and you told me that on Earth, people symbolized their friendships by giving each other a gift called, friendship bracelets." Simon explains.

"Aw, that's so sweet! Thank you!" Tobi beams, feeling appreciated. He tries to slip on the bracelet but it's a bit small so he had to give it a little push, almost breaking it.

Silence strikes.

Everyone turns their heads.

"Vik!"

No one here shares the same name or has a last name.

Vik froze. All of the sudden he doesn't feel so ready anymore. His mental stability has gone out the window. The petite body begins shaking.

"Vik, go." Tobi nudges him. "It's fine. They're just telling you a name." he reassures. Vik gives a timid grin and stands up. His feet feel like 50 pounds each, making every step a struggle.

When Vik came back he seemed much more relaxed. As well as content with whatever the outcome was.

"Who'd you get? What's their name? What's their situation? How old are they?" The questions come flying out of everyone's mouth.

"Guys, slow down." Vik hushes them as he sits back down. "His name is Harry and he's in the hospital because of lead poisoning. I have to help save him."

"How old is he?" Tobi inquires.

"14? I believe." Vik answers.

A few names later and Tobi's name is called. He gets up, very excited, speed walking to the door of destiny.

Vik feels nervous for his friend. After all, Tobi is his best friend. He silently prays Tobi won't get something as difficult as he just got. Tobi is very sure of his abilities and sometimes that gets all caught up in his head.

When Tobi returned, Vik remained silent as Simon and JJ asked him the same questions.

"I've got a 14 year old boy who has no friends and it's my duty to get him at least one, before ninth grade (year 10) ends. Oh, and his name is Ethan." Tobi speaks firmly.

"That sounds easy." JJ comments. Tobi nods in agreement.

"Good luck to both of you!" Simon wishes upon them. "I'll really miss you two. You're my favorite friends."

"What about me?!" JJ pretends to be hurt. Even though he is a little.

"You too. Don't worry." Simon pokes him. "Just make sure you guys have fun while healing and building friendships." Simon gives his piece of advice. Simon and JJ hug both of the sixteen year olds.
~
"To think, that'll be you in a year Jide." To go to their next class they stroll around the outside of their school. They walk in the grass even though there's a sidewalk next to them.

"Don't remind me. I'm getting so old." JJ sighs. "That would be you in that room. Instead you're going to be left behind by everyone else." JJ says. Simon is sixteen. However, he doesn't have to be tested because it would be unfair to make him look after three different humans. Neither does Josh. He's already seventeen.

"What's that?" Simon questions. JJ looks to where he's pointing. There's something black hanging from the tree.

"I think... Is that, Josh?" JJ squints his eyes. Simon perks up. He runs over to the motionless figure in hopes he can redeem himself after failing yesterday.

"Josh~!" Simon sings.

"What do you want?" Josh's eyes shoot open. He hangs from the branch upside down like a bat.

"I want to start over after that awkward moment yesterday. What are you doing?" Flower boy sways back and forth.

"I'm trying to isolate myself. So could you please leave? I like being alone." Josh wonders why this kid is, all of the sudden, up in his business.

"But I want to be you're friend." Simon rises to his tippy toes. Josh sits up and looks at Simon before replying with,

"Then congratulations, we're friends now."

"But that's not-"

"I said, we're friends. Now go away." Josh snaps. JJ grabs Simon's right arm, pulling him back. JJ can sense Josh is bad news.

"But I want to know more about you." Simon pouts.

"We, are total opposites. You are the embodiment of life and light and nature. All that pretty stuff. I, murder people for a living and take them to a dark place where misery lives and no one escapes."

"Oo, tell me more." Simon is intrigued. His blue orbs widen with interest.

"No. It's my turn to ask you a question." Josh looks down upon him.

"Okay! What is it?"

"Simon..." JJ sighs, fearing Josh would ask a rhetorical question about Simon being "stupid". He can't help it; He's just naive. Simon shushes JJ.

"Can you grow plants on yourself? Like make vines come out of your sleeves?" Josh surprisingly asks.

"Not yet. When my mom dies I will." Simon answers.

"Cool. Bye-bye new friend." Josh coos in a condescending tone. He transforms into a shadow and swiftly disappears.

"I think I did better this time. Don't you think, JJ?"