777

Who is that in the mirror? 

Simon doesn't know anymore. He feels detached from his body. His reflection no longer greets him with a smile every morning. Yet somehow, he manages to put on a faint grin for everyone else.

Simon runs his hand down his chest, staring at it. He pulls his gray shirt over his head, hiding it. No one can know what is really going on. He has to stay strong. Give it some time and let himself emotionally heal.

Simon checks his clock. He's ten minutes behind his usual schedule. He's never late. Ever. JJ must be worried sick. Simon hasn't told his friend about the second confrontation with Josh. He probably never will. If he did, Simon would never have freedom; JJ would constantly be following him and controlling him on where to go. All to make sure he's "safe."

Someone knocked on his door and called his name out. Simon knows it's JJ. For a quick second he panicked but then took a deep breath before answering the door.

"Are you okay?!" JJ's words were laced with panic.

"Of course I am!" Simon replies, sounding peppy as normal. "I accidentally set my toaster on fire whilst making toast." he lies.

"What!? That doesn't sound okay to me!" JJ is still concerned.

"No. It is, it is. Trust me. I'm going to get my stuff and we'll go, sound good?" Simon prances away to grab his backpack. JJ is left speechless. He is afraid of upsetting Simon by seeming overprotective after their last talk so JJ takes his word for it. "Let's go, Jide!" Simon takes JJ's hand and pulls him away with force.

Maybe Simon should tone down his energy levels. Or else he'll come off over the top. He's full of life but he's not crazy.

The sky is clear and the sun is bright. Simon loves when it's a sunny day. However, today, the sun is too bright. It hurt his eyes. He kept them low and scoured the area looking out for Josh. The last thing wants is to run into him. Subconsciously he grabs onto his protective friend tighter. JJ doesn't mind. In fact, he likes being needed by Simon.

"Can I just say, I am so glad you finally stopped hanging out with Josh."

"I wish I didn't have to." Simon whispers to himself.

"What was that?" JJ didn't catch that.

"I'm just glad to still be friends with you." Simon smiles at him. One he meant for real. They try to hug but Simon flinches in pain.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes." he lies again.

"Are you lying to me?"

"No." And again.

So JJ tries to hug him again. Except, Simon won't let him. 

"I'm sore from how I slept last night." And again. "Listen, don't worry about it right now. We're gonna be late for class." Simon urges him to move on. His flowery friend lacks the energy he pretends to have. JJ is very concerned and suspicious since Simon won't seem to tell him anything. In a low quiet murmur JJ hushes,

"I bet Josh did this to you." Guilt pulsed through JJ's body. He could have stopped this. He thinks to himself. JJ's hunger for vengeance growls in his stomach. Simon, not having heard him carries onward to school. 

Later, with Simon in a class, JJ walks down the hallway searching for the tormentor. He spots Josh strolling in an empty hall.

"Josh!" He yells. The dark hood rotates to show a face. "You're a son of a bitch." JJ wastes no time.

"Excuse me?" Josh is aware of JJ's strong disliking towards him, but this is uncalled for.

"Don't act clueless after what you've done to, Simon." JJ hisses, backing Josh against a wall of lockers.

"What? I haven't done anything to the kid." Josh says, refusing to admit anything.

"Say that again and you might as well be kissing my ass." JJ grabs a fistful of Josh's jacket and shoves him against the wall. "I knew you were trouble."

"I would never do anything to him." Josh sneers. JJ pushes him onto the ground.

"Liar! He's ill and hurting and I bet you're the one that cast this plague on him!" JJ accuses pointing a finger.

"Look here, I don't know what you're talking about! But I'm pretty sure you don't want to mess with me." he huffs.

"I'm pretty sure I do after what you've done to, Simon." JJ pushes up his sleeves, asking for a fight. He's made Josh angry and it takes every ounce of will to hold himself back. 

"I will bring you to your knees and make you beg for my mercy." Josh growls.

"Stay away from my Simon. Pansy."

Anyone could see the dam that held back his fury break behind Josh's eyes. Josh pounces at JJ, tackling him to the ground. The first punch was thrown to JJ's face by Josh but his stomach was met by JJ's knee. He pushes the man off of him. As he tries to stand up Josh grabs his ankle yanking JJ out from under himself. This time JJ leaps on Josh and lands a few punches. They wrestled on the ground, grunting and cursing. At last they were both on their feet. Josh pants heavily, not fighting back.

"What? Have you turned into wimpy flower?" JJ coaxed him.

Having had enough, Josh winded his arm as far back as it could go. Death's hand punches his opponent down the hall. The limp body slamming against some lockers.

Josh calmly walks up to JJ. The flames of fury in his eyes subside. He towers over his seemingly defeated enemy. JJ groans in pain looking up at Josh.

"Giving up that easily?" Josh asks condescendingly. He clenches his hand - but not into a full fist - which sends JJ thrashing in pain as he grabs his chest. "JJ, you're always jumping to conclusions. Now look where it's gotten you. What a shame." Josh's hand grips tighter on the invisible heart. He watches happily as his victim gasps for air.

"Joshua!"

Josh immediately releases JJ letting him breath. A teacher comes storming down the hall.

"Let go of that boy! I don't think you would want your father to hear about this would you?" Josh rapidly shakes his head. "Then get out of my sight before I ruin your life!"

The heartless boy ran away as fast as he could back to his room. To be away from anyone else he may hurt.