223

It seems to Tobi that Ethan has given up on trying to make any friends. As Tobi has been watching the lonely boy, he has noticed a pattern of him sitting on his own by choice. He never interacts with anyone unless spoken to. And most of the time it's only teachers.

Tobi, however, is far from ready to throw in the towel. There are plenty of kids in the school who are shy like Ethan. They just haven't met yet. Ethan's best bet of finding a friend is among people whom he doesn't know. Because the ones who do know him are just plain mean. No particular reason why either, it's not like Ethan has done anything wrong.

Tobi just has to find the perfect time when Ethan can talk to someone else. Maybe today is his lucky day. In english class, the students are supposed to work in pairs to annotate a poem.

"Alright, Ethan. This is your chance." Tobi hypes him up. Ethan's partner is a girl named Julianna. She takes a seat next to Ethan, smiling kindly at him. Ethan returns a small smile barely looking up from his paper. "It's not that hard to start a conversation. It only has to be about this poem. Get comfortable with talking to people." Tobi coaches.

"So..." Julianna sighs.

"Um," Ethan taps his pencil. Tobi looks at all the other pairs talking. The room buzzes with chatter. Except for the corner with this awkward pair. The prolonging silence is agonizingly long. Tobi's face contorts as things only become more intensely awkward.

At last, Julianna takes charge and says a few things to which Ethan agrees with a simple head nod and "Uh-huh" each time. They both write what she said and then silence strikes them again. Tobi catches a glimpse of Julianna glaring at Ethan. She turns away dissatisfied with him and engages in a conversation with another guy next to them.

"What about- Oh, uh, bye." Ethan finally built up courage only to find her gone.

"Oh, Ethan." Tobi shakes his head in the palm of his hands.

Ever since that moment Ethan has seemed more depressed than normal. Tobi noticed this change quite quickly. The chubby boy's inability to smile has caught onto Tobi as he has caught himself on multiple occasions frowning.

The rest of the day was dead and gray. Tobi always pictured rainbows and lots of people wanting to hang out with his "test."

The two arrived at Ethan's fragmented home. His mother is home before him for once. She's sat on the couch watching TV. She doesn't even seem to hear the front door opening and slamming shut.

"I'm home." Ethan makes himself present. The curly blonde haired woman doesn't bat an eye. Ethan sighs and begins to make his way up the stairs. He trips over the the first ledge practically falling over.

"Idiot." she grumbles. Tobi's eyebrows furrow.

"Stay positive..." he whispers to himself. Maybe she had a bad day at work. She does work a lot of different jobs; Tobi has learned.

Her son stomps upstairs, his otherworldly friend following. Ethan closes his bedroom door, blocking Tobi out. Tobi is caught by surprise. He grunts in annoyance before phasing through the wooden wall. He's taken back seeing Ethan's backpack thrown against the opposite wall and him curled on his bed. At first Tobi thinks he's fallen asleep in a new world record.

Then he realizes Ethan is crying. He to is frustrated with himself for hiding behind his mouth.

"Oh no, why is he crying?!" Tobi stays in place, unsure of what to do.

"Why don't you just talk to people you fucking coward? Everybody else can do it!" Ethan mumbles into his bedsheets.

"That's what I've been asking you all day." Tobi rolls his eyes.

"Because nobody wants to listen to my ugly voice." Ethan sniffs, rubbing the hot tears into his skin. Tobi floats over sitting next to the distressed child. He murmurs,

"I do..."
~
Simon keeps his back against the lockers as he waits for a space between all the people. He notices among everyone, Josh floating by. Something moves in the of his sight; his eyes flash towards it: A pencil. Simon lunges down to pick it up. He rushes after Josh knowing this is his pencil that fell.

Simon is unsure how to get Josh's attention in the crowded hallways. Not to mention he's a bit nervous after the last two interactions with Josh. Simon lifts up an arm to tap his back but then shies away. He opens his mouth but nothing comes out. He tries again but only faint sounds escape his lips;

"...Josh..."

"...Josh!"

"J-Josh!" Simon speaks at hearable level. Josh stops in the middle of the hall, cranking his neck around.

"Yes?" he responds lowly.

"You dropped your pencil." Simon shakily hands him the piece of wood. Pensive eyes move up and down on him. 

"Thanks. Now will you stop following me?" Josh requests. Simon nods. Josh turns his head back around. He continues to float away.

"I did a good deed." Simon beams, feeling proud for being helpful.