7 ; whipped into shape

quick warning— it's gonna get real cheesy real quick.
P.S. i swear to god if anyone makes the reference. dont me. you'll get it later

-

It wasn't often that Ashton could visit his mother. Usually, he was cooped up in his dorm room, studying, or running around campus for Cowell. He was a very busy man. If he could, he would visit his mother, but his schedule usually didn't allow it. This time, though, he felt like he should pay his mum a visit, if even for just a few hours. He wanted to talk to her.

Besides, he wanted to make sure she was still safe. His mum didn't really live in a secure neighborhood, but it was all that they could afford. If he could, he'd swap with his mum so that she'd live at the dorms instead. It was safer there. However, no administrator would allow that. So, Ashton would just let the guilt eat at him every single day. He swore to himself that the first thing he'd do when he wins his first trial is buy a new, safe home for his mum. Ashton loved his mum to bits, she was his number one.

It was in the early afternoon that Ashton knocked on her door. Eight knocks exactly, that was their own secret way of letting each other know they were at the door. The pale old wood opened to reveal the weathered, smiling face of Ashton's mother, Anne Irwin.

"Hello, mum," Ashton said, enveloping his mother in a hug. Anne hugged back with a light laugh, her breath tickling the tips of Ashton's ears.

"Hello, son." She pulled back and gestured inside the apartment. "Come in."

Not unfamiliar with the place, Ashton stepped inside without paying much attention. He grew up here. He knew every nook and cranny of the place; his mum probably knew more. But, he hadn't visited in a while, so he accidentally hurt his butt trying to sit down on the hard surface of Anne's old sofa. For the past few months, Ashton had usually spent his time in Luke's room, enjoying the soft, expensive material of his mattress. He forgot how his mum's sofa felt.

"You alright, Ashton?" said his mum, noticing the boy wince.

Ashton nodded slightly, and cleared his throat. "Mum, I have good news."

"What is it?" His mum sounded excited— Ashton felt warmth blossom in his chest. He loved to make her proud. But then, his mum said, "did you finally ask that Luke boy on a date?"

"MUM!" Ashton sputtered. "No, of course not! I— no!"

"Ashton, you're not getting any younger." Anne shook her head. "Besides, you told me that he's different. You gave him my necklace!"

"Mum, you told me to give him your necklace!" Anne's son was very red, blushing up to the tips of his ears. He felt quite attacked— this wasn't what he came for.

"No," argued Anne, "I told you to give him the necklace if you really wanted to. And, you did give it to him. You can't convince me there's nothing going on, son— you wouldn't even let Bryana touch the thing, and you were head over heels for her."

"I was not," Ashton said indignantly.

Anne snorted. "Please. I know my son. If you really did feel indifferent about Luke, you would have gotten him a hat or something."

Left nearly speechless, Ashton's hazel eyes trailed down to the floor. He muttered absently, "but it just looked so right on him."

"That's how I know you do feel for this boy!" Anne clapped. "Son, you need to make a move already. From what you've told me, this Luke boy sounds as dense as a rock. I want a son in law."

"Ugh, mum," Ashton groaned. "Please don't. I just came to tell you that Cowell's going to make me partner."

With that, Anne's mind was rid of all thoughts about Luke. Her mouth opened wide in surprise. "What? Really, Ashton? Oh, my baby boy, I'm so proud!"