Chapter 11 Skyler

"So how exactly did you, you know, send that wave at the Fire Raisers?" Brock asked as they trudged along the beach. The cold ocean water splashed against Skyler's feet as she walked along the sandy shoreline behind Brock.

"Well," Amber said unsure if she could trust Brock.

Skyler understood. Amber had never told anyone except her and obviously their parents. Amber looked towards Skyler as if asking if she should tell Brock. Skyler ushered Amber to go on. Skyler had never trusted many people in her life but she felt that Brock should be trusted. After all he had saved their lives many times and helped them survive the Fire Raisers.

Amber took a deep breath and continued stopping to peer out at the ocean. Watching as the waves crashed into the shore sending shells and sea life on to the sand.

"Well my parents both had two different elements, air and water, and well Skyler was born first and she got my mother's element which was air and when I was born I got a mix of water and air so I have both powers running in my veins." Amber stopped watching the waves to look at Brock's reaction.

Brock was staring in awe at Amber.

"This is the only time in history that this has ever happened." He said still staring at Amber.

"It's not as awesome as it sounds." Amber said bending over to pick up a conch shell.

"Are you kidding? Two elements under your control? That means you are super powerful!" Brock said as he smiled at Amber.

Amber blushed, she never had gotten a compliment about her power from anyone. Skyler squinted up at the cloudy sky. The last bit of blue was being overtaken by the endless gray clouds.

"So how are we going to get the next staff?" Skyler asked still staring at the sky.

Brock and Amber shrugged. They all walked along the shore for a while until Brock suggested finding somewhere to sleep for the night. They kept walking, passing through a small town and tried to keep themselves hidden. Normal people without elements would think that three kids walking around in a village unattended would mean they were lost or abandoned. Plus they all looked like they hadn't had a decent bath in months. She and Amber didn't need to get stuck in another orphanage again. Skyler's mouth watered when they passed a bakery. Food was hard to find. Especially when they were worried about the Fire Raisers finding them or another monster of some sort demolishing their shelter for the night.

About a mile away an army of men dressed in red cloaks were searching for Amber, Skyler, and Brock. The army of Fire Raisers was nearing them with each step. They each knew that if they didn't find these three children with the water element staff than they would get set ablaze just like the two Fire Raisers that tried to capture them and steal the water staff. They failed and when they got back to the Fire Raisers base they were only a pile of ashes within moments. The army of Fire Raisers neared a small village. It wasn't busy with people, but not very quiet either. The Fire Raisers sensed the staff near them and knew the three children would be near it. A muscular Fire Raiser who was in charge of the group walked over to a small woman who was frozen like a deer in headlights.

"You! Have you seen three children around?" He asked sternly.

The woman shook her head vigorously. The lead Fire Raiser took a step closer to her and in seconds the woman was nothing but a pile of ashes. The Fire Raisers charged through the town ruthlessly blowing up shops and innocent villagers. They sensed Brock, Amber, and Skyler getting closer and closer to them.

Unfortunately the three of them were crouched behind a shop window one minute and then the next minute the bakery that was only two shops down blew up. They all only had one thought going through their heads and that was to run. They didn't care if people saw them anymore they just had to get out of here. Brock was in front and Amber was behind Skyler holding the staff. The heavy staff was weighing Amber down. Skyler slowed her pace and grabbed the other end of the staff as she and Amber ran for some reason the staff seemed to repel her touch, as if it only wanted Amber to hold it. Shops blew up behind them as bits of glass flew everywhere. Villagers screamed as they ran. The whole village was absolute chaos. Skyler, Amber, and Brock ducked as the tailor shop behind them blew up. Ahead Skyler could see a forest.

"Brock!" Skyler shouted as another shop exploded.

Brock turned to see where Skyler was pointing and then ran with all of his strength at the forest Amber and Skyler closely behind him. Finally they reached the treeline, but they didn't stop running. The sounds of explosion was still close behind. Skyler's quick pace wasn't slowing down even when the sounds of the explosions were starting to get quieter. Neither did Amber or Brock. The Fire Raisers almost found them again. They were still only a few miles away from them. The sound of running water filled the silence. Skyler thought her thirsty mind was playing with her but a few moments later a stream appeared into view.

"Water!" Amber yelled as she Skyler, and Brock ran towards it. They each collapsed down beside it splashing their faces in the cold water. It felt good to rest. Skyler was breathing heavily her heart still bouncing out of her chest. They couldn't hear the sounds of shops blowing up anymore so they figured they must be far enough away from them.

"What do we do now?" Amber asked.

"We are lucky to have escaped that." Brock says sighing heavily as he scooped water into his hands and splashed it on his face.

Out of the corner of Skyler's eye she spotted a small cottage sheltered from the masses of trees that surrounded it. It looked old with its grass roof top and stone walls covered in ivy. Amber and Brock, Skyler noticed, seemed to have seen the old cottage at the same time as she did because they stood up and slowly walk over to it. Skyler watched the flowers growing all around it of different types and plants such as carrots and green beans were also sprouting out of the ground.

"I don't know guys, the plants look very well cared for so someone must be living here." Brock pointed out.

"We'll only peek inside." Amber promised. Brock gives in and they step through the small doorway. Inside the cottage there is a chimney, a small table with several chairs, and a bed. It seemed as if someone lived here but abandoned the small cottage recently. Amber pulled out a chair and sank into it and Skyler sank into the other chair. Brock remained standing as if unsure if he should make himself comfortable, but sleep wins and he takes a seat on the end of the bed. Skyler started to feel sleepy as well. She blinked and then fell asleep right there in the chair.

Skyler woke up suddenly to the door creaking open. Her eyes fluttered open. And realization that she slept too long overcame her as she realized it was dark outside. A tiny man stood framed in the doorway gaping at them.