Chapter 8 Skyler

Skyler watched Amber, her eyes slowly closing as she lost consciousness from the world around her. Skyler felt tears well up in her throat as she knelt down on the cave floor next to Amber. Amber's chest started to rise and fall more slowly after each breath.

"Amber?" Skyler whispered into the darkness of the cave walls. An echoing 'Amber?' whispered back.

Skyler knew she couldn't control the fact that Amber was dying, but she blamed herself for everything. The tears she was trying to hold in came out as she sobbed. The Fire Raisers were killing her sister. The only thing she had left. Brock knelt down beside her wiping away his own tears as they both stared at Amber. Skyler should've been more careful. Last time Amber had broken a window they were taken to the Fire Raisers base. It was Skyler's job to look out for Amber and she had failed.

"Your element is air right?" Brock asked.

Skyler turned to face him wiping away tears, "Yeah."

"I don't know if this will work exactly, but by using our two powers we could stop the shocking device by overloading it with energy."

Skyler thought this through for minute and then turned towards Amber. "Anything for my sister," She said.

Skyler concentrated hard thinking about her powers and Amber. A light suddenly flooded through her palm headed towards her sister. Brock's eyes were shut tightly as a green light came out of his own palms. The lights came together and went into Amber's chest. Both Skyler and Brock were still concentrating very hard. Skyler felt something she hadn't felt in a long time. She felt calm as her powers went over to Amber. Finally both of their powers stopped and Skyler saw that Amber was breathing again. Her soulful eyes fluttered open. Her face was gaining color again.

"Amber!" Skyler whispered as she threw her arms around Amber embracing her in a hug.

"Sky!" Amber whispered as she wrapped her arms around Skyler.

Skyler finally released Amber and turned to Brock, "I couldn't of done it without Brock!" She smiled at Brock as he shrugs but he couldn't contain a smile.

"We can't stay here, it's too dangerous. They aren't going to give up now." Brock stated.

"Where will we go?" Amber asked.

Brock shrugged, "Anywhere but here."

Skyler helped Amber up off the floor of the cave and Brock peeked out. He motioned for Amber and Sky to follow him out of the dark cave. Skyler didn't realize how hard it was to stand up.

"Sky are you ok?" Amber asked as she pulled Skyler up off the cold stone floor.

"I'm fine." Skyler whispered. Barely managing to get the words out of her mouth as she stumbled behind Amber.

Brock, Amber, and Skyler walked quietly out of the cave. The sky was gray and filled with dark clouds. A strike of lightning lit up the sky off in the distance and thunder rolled through the clouds. Skyler looked back at the distant bright red dome that was up in flames but not burning down. Skyler still felt pretty light headed as they trudged through the dry grass that was clearly in need of rain which the sky was promising. They couldn't use their powers because they couldn't risk The Fire Raisers possibly sensing them knowing exactly where they were and capture them a second time. Except one thing was clear, they would not only just capture them and put them in a cell again, or make Skyler do things and threaten to kill Amber, but kill them all with no mercy in the fiery hearts.

Eventually an hour later rain started to pour down from the heavens. It was a freezing rain and Skyler shivered as she trudged along behind Amber and Brock. No one said anything as rain poured down on them. The only sound was the rain. Cold drips of rain slinked down her neck. The view was beautiful Sky noted as they climbed a mountain looking down into a beautiful valley below them. Eventually when it got dark they stopped when Brock found a rocky enclosure in the mountain that would protect them from rain. It was cozy and kept the three of them dry. Skyler was hungry and exhausted from non stop walking all day. She immediately fell asleep when her head touched the floor.

........

She woke up in the middle of the night. She curled up in a ball wrapping her arms around her legs. As the night wore on it got colder and colder, and Sky found herself wishing for the warmth of a fire, even though it brought back bad memories. It was freezing cold in the cave. If the Fire Raisers didn't kill Skyler maybe the cold would. She was curled up in between Amber and Brock. She made sure that Amber was sleeping and then tried to close her eyes but sleep never overcame her exhausted body. Something was wrong. She could sense it the way the wind whipped. A bright light flashed at the back of the cave. Skyler sat up and wondered if it was just her imagination and debated whether it was worth it to wake Amber and Brock. Then all of the sudden the light moved. She shook Amber and Brock awake quickly. Amber groaned as she turned over and Skyler pointed a shaky finger towards the light. Brock gasped. Now the light was making a small humming noise.

"Guys," Brock whispered. "We have to get out of here."