Chapter 33 Part 1- Weaving a Ward

Start from the beginning

"Reaaalllllly?" Liara drawled, raising an eyebrow to her friend. "I wonder why that is."

Verushka scrunched up her face at her instigating accomplice. Liara knew exactly why, since Ver had been forced to divulge the whole spectacle in the Bexley kitchen shortly after Mina's tirade about courtesans, which was still an epic novella in progress.

"Perhaps she doesn't want her to think that The Duchess of Bexley is coming in and taking over things, especially since the Duke of Bexley is said to be announcing his engagement sometime this weekend," Verushka parried while polishing the last of the pumpkins.

Every female head in the kitchen snapped up to her.

"What?" Nettie asked surprised.

"He's engaged... I think."

"Woah," Anita remarked. "I mean, we are just country maids, but even we've heard of The Duke of Bexley. He's been away awhile but he is supposed to be uncommonly handsome."

"Downright heavenly," Nettie asserted.

Verushka rolled her eyes. "Yeah, just ask him."

"Don't be like that Ver," Liara smirked as she began a tuneless taunting song. "You're just saying that cause you think he's gooorgeous... you want to loooove him, marry him and -."

"Ugh," Verushka scoffed. "I do not think he is gorgeous, I don't want to love him and I most definitely will not be marrying him!"

"Are we talking about Cain, again?" Mina waltzed into the kitchen munching on a carrot.

"ARGH!" Verushka yowled like an angry wildcat. "I give up!"

Liara quietly snickered as she passed along the cleaned vegetables to Mina before laying her head down on folded arms for a short nap on the sun strewn table. Mina flipped a breadknife in her palm thrice, with startling precision, and proceeded to join the others in their preparations for the ball.

"Er hem," the House Butler stood at the edge of the kitchen and cleared his throat after a few moments of silence.

"Yes, Sir?" Anita politely inquired, standing to acknowledge the senior member of staff.

Mina picked at a piece of carrot between her teeth with her breadknife while Liara persisted with slumber.

"The Duchess of Bexley has arrived and requires the presence of her maids."

Verushka blinked a few times hoping it would clear out the fog from her mind. It was time. She was being called upon like a soldier in an age of war and it was time to wear the uniform. There would be no more hiding in the pantry, now she had to hide in plain sight. Verushka rose slowly, stepping carefully over the bench as she made her way towards the butler. "I'm ready, Somerset."

"I'm sorry Miss. The Duchess requires all three of her pantry maids."

Mina stopped picking her teeth.

Liara opened one eye worriedly.

Both maids looked at each other with uncertainty. There had been a lot of allusions to the Duchess's involvement in the recent changes in their lives, but never an open acknowledgement. They had never even met the woman, except for her moments of morale in the kitchen.

Liara bit her lip and Mina stood with trepidation as they joined Verushka's wide eyes.

Somerset turned swiftly, having gathered his assigned squadron and led them directly up the servant stairs to the Duchess's guest chamber.

Verushka took one last look at the kitchen as she left. Knives continued to chop unceasingly, dishes were being washed and Anita smiled encouragingly as she waved a silent, cheerful 'goodbye'.