"Thank you," the tortoiseshell said. Reedpaw only nodded his head.

Outside of the healer's den, Spiderthorn's voice carried across the camp as he called out the dusk patrols. Hearing her name, Lightpaw directed her paws to the den entrance. She had nearly reached it when she turned back to see Reedpaw watching her.

"I did want to know if you're alright, you know," she said, seeing the sadness etched into the markings on his face.

He did not answer immediately. "I'll be okay," he whispered.

Lightpaw swallowed, unwilling to leave her friend behind, but Spiderthorn's voice shouted her name again, louder this time. She waved her tail at Reedpaw, sighing as she emerged into the sun's fading light.

Her patrol stood waiting for her by the Speaking Rock. To her dismay, Beetlepaw stood at its head, with Shademask, Thistleshade, and Rowanstorm right behind.

"How's your stealth coming?" Beetlepaw asked snootily as her littermate approached. Already braced for the question, Lightpaw just gave a slight shrug before turning her attention to Rowanstorm.

"Where are we headed?" she asked, assuming his leadership of the patrol. To her surprise, the old tabby turned to Shademask instead.

"Lead the way," he growled to the black tom and Shademask nodded his head, confidently moving out of the camp and up towards the Twolegplace. Lightpaw fell into step beside Thistleshade at the back of the patrol, avoiding Beetlepaw's backwards glances and Thistleshade's curious looks. All the while, she attempted to ignore the worry she felt for Reedpaw, trying to forget the sadness on his features as she left him to his work.

"Have you seen Reedpaw recently?" she asked Thistleshade in a low tone as they padded through the small snow drifts coating the prairie. Somewhere beneath their paws lay the borderline between the moors and the start of the rock cliffs.

"I haven't visited him in quite some time," the older she-cat admitted. "Is something wrong?" Genuine worry was clear in her eyes.

Lightpaw looked away, wondering if her own gaze mirrored the emotion. "I'm not sure. He just seemed off when I went to see him today."

"Hurt yourself again?" Beetlepaw snickered.

"Eavesdropping again?" Lightpaw shot back, in no mood to put up with the she-cat.

The black apprentice's whiskers twitched. "Or does a certain lack of skill have your tail in a knot?" She kinked up her tail to demonstrate.

The pale she-cat narrowed her eyes before pushing past Beetlepaw and joining Shademask up at the front. At least she wouldn't have to suffer her littermate's gleeful looks up here.

Shademask offered no comment, but allowed her to walk alongside him. Soon, Lightpaw found herself mirroring his steps, a solid left, right, left, right as they travelled further towards the Twolegplace border. She almost found herself enjoying the patrol, a certain silent fellowship hanging in the air between herself and the older warrior.

All too soon, they neared the edge of DarkClan territory.

"We'll split up," Shademask decided, and Lightpaw plead silently that she would not end up with Beetlepaw.

"I'll take Beetlepaw," Thistleshade offered before Shademask could say another word, and the younger warrior acquiesced.

"I'll take Lightpaw," he said. "Rowanstorm, you'll be fine on your own?"

The tabby just gave a flick of his tail before following the borderline east. Thistleshade, with a rather cross Beetlepaw in tow, turned west. Shademask continued forward, surveying the tall white walls before them.