// chapter 6 //

The mud squelched beneath her paws as she moved across camp, still yawning though the last traces of dawn were quickly fleeing from the sky. Rain always made her sleepy and it had been storming since moonhigh. The clouds were finally clearing now but the result of a night's rain showed prominently.

    Most notably in the muck now sticking to her white underbelly. Lightpaw had just gotten out of her den and she already wished it were dusk.

    "Doing alright there?" Lightpaw stifled her yawn as the amused purr reached her and she looked up to see Skunknose and Rowanstorm, two senior warriors. Like her, Skunknose had picked up a few patches on his black and white coat; Rowanstorm, on the other hand, regarded both of them with scorn. His tabby coat was pristine.

    "Is it true our warrior assessments are coming up?" Lightpaw asked excitedly, knowing Rowanstorm was renowned for his mentorship. He had been Flamestrike's mentor, after all.

    Before Skunknose could respond, the tabby cut in. "Only your mentor is allowed to disclose that information." His amber eyes were hard, letting her know he would not yield to pestering.

    She cut her losses. "Guess I should just keep up my training." The tortoiseshell left the two senior warriors quickly but felt the scrutiny of Rowanstorm's gaze all the same. Some members of DarkClan really knew how to get under her fur.

    "Need help licking yourself clean already?" Speaking of.

    Lightpaw rolled her hazel eyes. "Maybe later tonight," she replied, deciding to be civil. "I still have lots to do today. I'm hoping for a hunting patrol."

    "Hunting?" Beetlepaw scoffed. "I'm working on my leap-and-hold with Dapplefrost and Rowanstorm."

    Which I've already perfected, Lightpaw thought sullenly. "I need to work on my stealth," she said instead, shrugging.

    For once, the black she-cat did not respond, seeming to have nothing to pick on. The pale tortoiseshell nearly breathed a sigh of relief. Before either could continue the conversation, Spiderthorn approached them.

    "Nice to see you two getting along," he mewed. Lightpaw flicked an ear, trying to look the part. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Beetlepaw bare her teeth.

    "Beetlepaw, Dapplefrost decided you should clear out the nursery and warriors' den before training," the deputy continued. "Last night's rain seeped in and the nests are wet. Rainpaw will be helping you. Lightpaw, hunting patrol – Oakshade will direct you."

    The she-cats exchanged a look, Lightpaw's triumphant and Beetlepaw's downright murderous.

    "Have fun training!" Lightpaw called as she bounded off.

    //

    As it turned out, being stealthy following a rainstorm was impossible. Nearly everywhere Lightpaw stepped, mud bubbled up between her toes, accompanied by all manner of gurgling, splashing, and squelching. Yewpaw was not having much luck either.

    "We either need to coat ourselves in this gunk," he hissed between his teeth as he pushed his belly closer to the ground, "or put up with all the noise."

    "I don't think we have much of a choice," the she-cat replied, lowering her body. Her belly fur was already coated in brown, what could a few more splatters do?

    The golden tom remained silent, putting his full concentration into placing one paw in front of the other without making a sound. Lightpaw followed suit.

    By the time they reached the forest ravine, both of their pelts were mottled with chocolate and Lightpaw's claws felt heavy as stones with the mud clinging to them. Her shoulder, still not completely healed, ached from pushing against the unsteady ground.