Chapter 30

As we approached the entrance of East Wyndlake High School, Javi squeezed my hand and smiled down at me.

"Ready?" he whispered.

I grimaced. "As ready as it gets."

"Remember, I'm right beside you. I'll even follow you into the bathroom to make sure no one gives you a swirly if I need to."

"Um, I don't think that'll be necessary, but thanks for the offer."

On my other side, Zoey stretched her arm in front of us toward a small group of people by one of the school's large brick columns. "Well, just in case he's not enough, you've got your whole posse to back you up."

I followed his gaze and stopped in my tracks. The Late Bloomers were all standing outside the door in party clothes. Malcolm, Hallie, and even Felix. I was a weird mixture of disappointed and relieved that I didn't spy Suresh anywhere.

"I didn't think they were actually serious," I said.

Javi looked at me, his brows raised in question.

"It's the Late Bloomer's Social Club—my friends," I said. "Do you mind...?"

Javi gave his head a shake and gestured for me to go ahead.

I ran—but in reality, shuffled quickly thanks to my heels—over to Malcolm and stopped just in front of him. He looked, dare I say, dashing in fitted dark jeans, a plaid button-down, and brown blazer. He also wasn't wearing his trademark glasses. If I wasn't dating Javi, I might be rethinking my stance on him as a potential suitor.

"Malcolm, you look wonderful," I said. "I can't believe you guys actually came."

"Reese, your dress is...cute," he said, one corner of his mouth quirking up.

I leaned forward and socked him in the arm.

"I'm kidding. You look beautiful. Prepossessing."

I blushed and waved the "beautiful" compliment away. I wasn't exactly sure what "prepossessing" meant. "You and those big words. But seriously, I thought you all were only joking about coming to the reunion."

Hallie stepped forward in a show-stopping short black dress. It had a sweetheart neckline with a peacock embroidered in golds, greens, and reds that descended onto a chiffon overlay skirt. The peacock was scattered with sequins and rhinestones that caught the floodlights of the building. On her feet she wore black Chuck Taylors.

"Miss a chance to act out a sitcom episode? Pshaw," Hallie said. She gave me a hug and whispered in my ear, "P.S. Your date is smoking hot."

I wiggled my eyebrows. "I know. And thank you for being a friend."

Hallie winked. "I prefer a 'pal' and a 'confidante'."

Smiling, I stepped back from Hallie and gave Malcolm a huge hug.

"Malcolm, you are a great friend. And I'm sorry that it took me so long to figure that out. From now on, I'm going to be there whenever you need me and even when you don't. I'm even gonna help you find a girlfriend."

The tips of Malcolm's ears turned red. "Thanks, but let's just get through tonight first, okay?"

I shrugged, but I'd meant what I'd said. Malcolm had known me all of a few weeks and shown up every time I'd needed someone. I thought it was time I repaid the favor. I squeezed Malcolm's shoulder and turned to Felix, who stood off a little ways from the other two. Ah, the mysterious, aloof Felix.