Chapter 27

"And that's how you field a phone call," Liz finished her explanation. "Got it?"

I looked at my hastily scribbled, haphazard notes. "Uh huh."

It was the day after my conversation with Quinn. I was feeling relieved of some of my anxiety—because I'd talked to Quinn or simply because I knew what I was walking into with my new job, I didn't know. Whatever the reason, I was glad it was gone.

Liz gave me a smile and a reassuring pat on the hand. "All you really have to do is sell people on the apartments. And I know you can do that. After all, you had to sell yourself to get this job, right?"

I frowned. "Except Jeanette told me you hired me because you were desperate."

Liz rolled her eyes. "Okay, so that may be true, but you've got potential, Reese. I have a feeling if you turned on your charm you could sell ice to an eskimo."

Hmmm. Me a saleswoman? I had always been pretty good at up-selling people at the bar.

Liz clapped her hands. "Alright, so I've walked you through answering emails and handling phone calls. If you forget information about the apartments or amenities, look in the blue binder on your desk." She stood and stretched. "I'm going to go pick up some lunch. When I get back we'll go over printing lease agreements."

When Liz made to shoulder her purse I grabbed at her arm in a panic. With a bemused expression, she looked from her arm, to me, and back to her arm. I quickly released her.

"Sorry, I just didn't think you'd leave me alone so soon. I mean, it is only my second day."

"Relax, Reese, it isn't rocket science. Just handle the phone and if you can't answer the question take a message. I'll handle it when I get back." Liz tossed her hair. "Besides, Margot should be here any minute now. You'll be fine."

And I was fine for the first thirty-five minutes. The phone only rang twice and I was able to answer easy questions about apartment sizes and whether the clubhouse was available for rent. I spent the rest of the time scrolling through Facebook and taking down pigs in Angry Birds.

The phone rang again. I picked it up and placed it between my ear and shoulder so my hands would still be available to maneuver my game.

"It's a wonderful day at Dogwood Estates. My name is Reese, how may I help you?"

A throat cleared on the other end of the line. "Hi, Reese, how are you?" asked a raspy, male voice. "Are you new?"

I turned off my game and set my cell down. Was I new? What kind of question was that?

"Uh, yes, it's my second day. Can I help you with something, sir?"

"Jay."

"Excuse me?"

"You can call me Jay."

"Okay...Jay. Look, why don't I jot down your number and—"

"No, no, no," Jay rasped. "Tell me about your apartment floor plans."

I hesitated. "Which ones? We have one-, two-, and three-bedrooms."

"Start with the two-bedrooms."

Something seemed off about the guy, but if he wanted to hear about the apartments I would tell him. How great would it be if Liz came back from lunch and I'd gotten us a new resident?

"Well, we've got the Beech, which is 970 square feet; there are three of those available. The Cypress is 1,160 square feet and we only have two of those available. Then there's also the Willow—"