Caring and Protecting (Pernico)

She said she needed a break. A break from us. She said she didn't feel loved. I tried convincing her that she was the only one I wanted. Yet, I found that I was even trying to convince myself of this. So she packed her bags, kissed me goodbye, and left Camp Half-Blood to study architecture around the world. When she left I couldn't help but think that that kiss would be our final kiss. The goodbye kiss.

     It was midnight. The stars were shinning bright white and yellow through the dark black sky. I snuck out of camp and went to the beach. The beach I always went to when ever I felt stuck or confused.

     I laid in the cold sand closing my eyes, focusing all my attention on the smell of the salty ocean and the sound of the waves crashing down on the surface.

     Everything was peaceful. I was alone near the ocean. My territory. When I felt a disturbance in the movement of the sand.

     I opened my eyes to see what was disrupting my peace and relaxing scenery when I saw Nico standing next to me staring out into the ocean. He looked sad. The way he always does yet, his eyes seemed different. A little hopeful, cheerful, and even happy. I blinked a few times to make sure I wasn't day dreaming. Once I realized it was no hallucination or day dream I smiled. I was happy he was here.

     "Nico?" I asked my smile not going away. I tugged on the bottom of his pants. He looked down in acknowledgement and sat down next to me. I watched hi carefully as he did so. His black hair covered his eyes and ears like always. his facial expression stayed natural. He didn't smile, yet he didn't frown. As he sat down his shoulders hunched over and he pulled his black hoody closer to his body to avoid the cold sea salted wind.

     He looked cold, and I really wanted to warm him up. I sat up straight next to him. The way he hugged his legs to his chest, his chin resting on his knees, and his long dark hair blowing through the wind. He looked so vulnerable. The always looked that way.

     "Why are you here?" I asked him, my eyes kept watching him, but he kept his eyes behind his har looking towards the ocean.

     He shrugged shaking his head to move his hair from his face but it didn't work too well. "For you" he said quietly. "You seemed down and I wanted to make sure you were ok." He quickly added in.

     I found myself smiling looking out towards the dark blue ocean like he was. "Thanks." I said back. "I'm ok though. I guess some part of me knew it was just young love. No future guaranteed."

     "I'm sorry" Nico sighed looking at me and I looked back at him. "So, what are you going to do now?"

     "I guess keep training here at camp." I took in a deep sharp breath. "It's weird not having someone to be with. To hung, kiss, protect, care for."

      "Do you like that?" Nico asked looking away. "You know being with someone. Caring and protection them?"

     I nodded "Yea... I do. Makes me feel good, because I know someone is feeling the same way about me and I feel like I have a purpose."

     I heard Nico breathe in deeply. "You know even if you're not with someone doesn't mean someone doesn't care about you. That a certain someone doesn't want you to care for them or protect them."

     "I suppose, but if a certain someone did want that from me I kind of wish they would tell me, because I would gladly give them that."

      "Would it matter who they were?" He whispered so softly I could barely hear him.

     "Well Nico I'm not a big judgmental person so no it wouldn't matter who they were. Unless of course they were a monster then..." but my sentence was cut short. I felt a pair of soft lips smashing into mine. Yet, the kiss was soft and gentle somehow. I didn't know how to explain it. It was just something that happened that I just went along with. I put my hand on his cheek and cupped it and found myself kissing Nico back.

     "Percy..." He whispered pulling back and leaning his forehead on mind closing his eyes. I smiled and kept my eyes open looking at him. "I-I'm sorry... you're in a vulnerable place right now with Annabeth gone and I hammered you with relationship questions and..."

     This time I interrupted him with my lips, but I kissed him softly and only for a second. "Nico shut up and realize than I want to care and protect you."

     Nico kept his eyes closed tight and I laughed lightly seeing his face growing red. "Only because Annabeth isn't here."

     I looked at him sad. "You think of yourself as a sloppy second don't you?" I laughed nervously caressing his cheek making his eyes look into mine confirming my suspicion. "Guess what Nico. I'm not going to use you to fix my broken heart that I don't even have ok? I'm going to care for you. You got that?"

     For the first time in a while I actually saw him smile. My heart beated harder seeing this.

I leaned over and kissed him again, pinning him down on the sand.