Chapter Three: No Bullets

I tried to think about how I got here, and I fell back on the bed in shock when all the memories came rushing back. The Joker had broken me out of Arkham Asylum. The Joker. The man I'd been talking to for the past few months had called himself J and admitted to the many crimes he'd committed, and told me a plan he had that would let us both escape. I never thought it would actually work. But it did, and I found out that my so-called friend J was really the Joker. How could I have been so stupid as to think that he was my friend?

But after looking around again, I realized that he had rescued me. He had escaped from the asylum and brought me here, wherever here was.

I slid out of the bed until my feet hit the cream-colored carpet, holding my breath and hoping that no one suddenly burst through the doors. When all remained silent, I got bolder, making my way over to the door and turning the handle. It was locked.

With a rejected sigh I looked around for another escape. The window. I walked up to it and tried shoving it open, but it was locked, too. I took a look around for something I could use to shatter the glass, but there was nothing.

"Dammit." I growled, feeling like a prisoner yet again.

"Had a good sleep, did we?" a voice spoke from the doorway. My whole body tensed up and I froze, unable to move. I knew that voice. It was the same voice I'd conversed with for the past few months from inside my cell at the asylum. The man I'd considered my friend.

When I finally turned around, I came face to face with the infamous Joker. He was leaning against the doorway in a maroon dress-shirt and black slacks, a grin on his face. His green hair was neatly combed back, and all I could do was gawk in awe.

"Tut tut, no need to stare, darling," he smirked, a slow smile stretching across his pale face.

"Why did you bring me here?" I asked in a surprisingly steady voice. I felt terrified on the inside of what he could do to me. I never looked into the specifics of the things he did to people on the news, but I knew they weren't pretty.

"Always with the questions!" he sighed, and I feared I'd upset him for a moment or two, but then he regained his composure. "You should be thanking me, dear Cara. If I hadn't rescued you, you'd still be in that dingy prison cell, holed up in there until you really became insane, like me!" he released another maniacal laugh when he said this, causing me to shiver. "Oh come now, don't be scared. You're safe here."
"And why would I be safe here with you?" I spat. I knew I was testing the waters and pushing my luck. He could snap any moment now. Instead, his jaw just briefly clenched and his eyes flashed before returning to the calm state they were in before.

"Think about it, doll. Where else could you go? Certainly not back home. The police will be looking there. Everyone is on red alert for you and me. You're the first person besides the Joker himself," he gestured to himself with a smirk, "to escape Arkham Asylum. Everyone on the streets will know what you look like. You take even a step outside, and bam, you're caught." Although he was an insane clown, he was actually making sense. Come to think of it, before I knew his true identity, I oftentimes agreed with the things he said, save for the murder parts.

"So you expect me to sit in this room like it's my own prison cell? Why do you even care?" I asked, slightly exasperated.

The Joker held up a finger, shaking it back and forth and grinning. "Ah ah ah. Two things. One, you don't have to stay holed up here in this room. You're free to roam the house whenever you please. The only reason I had the door locked was because I wanted to talk to you before you decided to make a foolish escape attempt."

"And two?" I asked, getting the notion that I'd interrupted him when a low growl escaped from his throat. "Sorry," I quickly stammered.

"Two," he went on as if nothing had happened, "I don't particularly care all that much whether you're here or in Arkham, but I'd prefer if you were here. You... interest me, you see. Haven't had any fun around here in ages. Figured you'd might spice things up a bit." I made a disgusted face at him, hoping he didn't have anything in mind when he said that.