Gay Marriage presentation to All Girls Secondary school

• Dedicated to Lorna Costelloe

Ladies, we have all hoped for that fairy tale ending, that someday our prince will prance in on a white horse, woo us and fall madly in love with us. They’d then whisk us away on that big white horse, and we’d have a great big white wedding and live happily ever after for as long as we both shall live. Admit it, we have all hoped for that. But what if you have hoped for that all your life and you know that it might never happen, just because your knight in shining armour is a woman too?

Gay marriage is not wrong. Being gay, bisexual or straight should not impair your right to a happily ever after.

If straight people had been in the minority, would you be okay with the gay and bisexual people dictating your future, denying you of your fairy tale ending, smashing your dreams of the big white wedding?! Or would you fight for your right to be heard, for your right to be happy with the person you love? If so, why would gay marriage be wrong?

I can honestly say that ignorance is not bliss! It is instead, in the words of Plato, the root and stem of all evil! People have to walk a mile in your shoes before they can feel your blisters.

And why, might I ask, is it that we have no evidence of God’s existence and firm evidence of gay peoples existence, yet we deny the gays in our society for fear of aggravating a God who’s existence is still in question.

My friend is gay. She is however, an amazing, talented, charismatic, intelligent and beautiful woman. Now you tell me... why should she be denied her fairy tale ending? But yet I would be granted mine, simply because I am straight and she is not?! It is similar to a child’s game, “Nah nah nah nah nah, I can get married and you can’t!” It’s ridiculous and ignorant! Why would it be acceptable for me to judge anyone on their sexuality, without having first tried on their shoes! Why then, is it acceptable for the ignorant people in our society to judge anyone who is simply seeking happiness?

People could argue that it is unnatural for two men, or two women to love each other, that God ( IF he exists) created man and woman to be together like Adam and Eve, Romeo and Juliet, Pocahontasand John Smith, or Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy. But none of those people were real! And even factiously, they lived in an era when the church or dictators held the final, indubitable decision. These people polluted the minds of their subjects and societies into thinking what they wanted them to think. But we have risen against dictatorship and absolute power before! Why on earth can we not do it again, once and for all! And if it was or is unnatural for someone to love someone else of the same sex, ask yourself; Is love ever unnatural?! Aristotle said that love is composed of a single soul inhibiting two bodies. What does it matter if the souls have chosen to inhibit two females or two males?

Gay marriage, gay love- it is not wrong. It is a simple fact of life. And what about Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi, Freddie Mercury and Jim Hutton, Elton John and David Furnish, all the famous gay couples beginning the revolution for their rights.

I am forever pro gay, I am pro choice. And I am most certainly pro happily ever after. Every girl deserves her fairy tale wedding and happily ever after- even if it’s with another princess.