Terror

Terror is not a thing that can easily be forgotten.

It shakes through your bones and rattles your soul. I don't think I have ever experienced it until now.

First you get the butterflies, not the good kind, the kind that make you want to rip out your own stomach and throw it away.

Then the questions begin ripple through your mind at a hundred miles a minute, what if? Different scenarios race through you, before the questions can be answered with logical and rational explanations.

That's when the uncontrollable shaking starts and the goosebumps raise up to make their presence known.

When you've reached this stage, the real fear kicks in. The answers to your questions become scarier and you're left to face another question, could it really be true?

You wonder should you call for help, but worry that it's just your overactive imagination racing to the silliest conclusions, but what if?

When you feel that you have done everything and answered all your questions, you agree, help is what you need, but what if?

You could be wrong, but tears have started making their way down your shivering face, even though it's 25 degrees outside.

You hear another perspective, a less terrorised one, but what if? You cannot be consoled by this point, you just need unmistakable proof, evidence that you're just after tipping over into the make believe world of what if's.

When you get it, you remain a cold, shivering being. You need to see his face now, alive and well, but you must wait.