Chapter 6: Fragments of a story

I never had much belief in angels or God, but somehow the question of their existence seems to be circling around my head lately. There was always something in the back of my head though, telling me that perhaps some people had what are called “Guardian Angels” or something. But then there was something saying that perhaps it is only important people who had them, like Gandhi, The Queen of England, or Jesus. Ordinary people, like me, certainly didn’t have any. What happened last summer has been challenging those beliefs of mine.  Now all I’m left questioning is, “Why me? Why am I important?”...

“Callie O’Brien, why do you think you’re so special?” He stood at the top of the classroom, his unibrow frowning at me horribly. I was even sure that the mole on his top lip was starting to quiver.

“I don’t Mr. O’Keefe, trust me” I muttered the last bit under my breath, hoping he wouldn’t hear it.

“Then why do you think you can get away with not doing your homework, tell me.”

I gulped and looked around the room, full of annoyed classmates, all forty two eyes watching me as I attempted to make an excuse.

“I left my book at school sir.”

I didn’t leave it at school, I had it, but I didn’t feel like telling the whole room my sob story. They wouldn’t believe me anyway.