Part Thirty Seven: Christmas

Start from the beginning

"I missed you."

"I missed you too." He says. I only stand there, enjoying the smell of pine through his sweatshirt. He always smells like that.

"Hey Gale?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I have my Christmas present early?" He has been taunting me ever since October about the most amazing Christmas gift he got me. Or he said found me. I'm not sure hat the difference is.

"Katniss, it's Christmas Eve. Christmas is tomorrow you can wait." He says. I pull away from the hug and cross my arms.

"I've even waiting since October though." I wine.

"So you can wait one more night." He smiles.

"Yeah sure." I look at the floor.

"No pounting! It's going to be worth the wait."

"It better be." I laugh. We walk back to the others, and I take Peeta's hand. I'm getting a little tired even though it's only 9 am. I look outside at the snow that has claimed about 4 Inches of the ground. And a light snow starting. I haven't seen snow since last year. I missed it.

"Peeta?" I ask as we walk towards the cars. There are four of them because we have Peeta's family. Somehow it's decided Peeta and I will ride together.

"Yes love?" He asks. He gets in the drivers seat, starting the car.

"Can we play in the snow when we get to the house?" I ask like a child. He laughs.

"Of course. We can have a snowball fight, make a snowman, and make snow angels. All of us."

"Yes!" I say happy. Peeta looks so cute with his scarf around his neck, black gloves, and a black jacket. I'm loving his look. He looks over and catches me starring at him. I blush.

"You know, I wish I could be looking at you too." He says.

"Why? I'm not anything to look at. But you. Well you're kind of hot."

"Katniss, I would never call you hot. Hot is a temperature. You aren't pretty or beautiful. You are as radiant as the sun. And don't you ever forget that." He says and I actually awe out loud. I take on of his hands from the wheel and entwine our fingers. I lean my head on his shoulder.

"What did I ever do to deserve you?" I ask.

"I don't know. But whatever you did I'm glad you did it." He says as we pull Into the drive way. I turn to him.

"I love you."

"I love you too." And I accept his kiss. We get out of the car. I see Prim rushing out going towards the front door.

"Rory!" She yells. I see Gales little brother standing on the front porch with some flowers in his hands. I look closer, seeing they are white roses. I gasp.

"What's wrong?" Peeta asks. Our friends start coming towards us.

"Those flowers." I look at them, and all the bad memories of Snow rush back to me. I start hyperventilating and I hold onto Peeta's hand tighter.

"Is she okay?" Finnick asks.

"What happened to her?" Gale says. I don't answer them. Peeta looks but he doesn't understand because I never told him about the flowers Snow constantly had. They see where I'm looking, at Rory giving them to Prim. I think they start to understand that the flowers are the issue.

"Rory!" Gale yells.

"Yeah?"

"Get rid if those flowers!" He yells across the yard. Rory looks confused but walks them inside and the memories leave.