Stay Safe, My Son

Hey, guys. This is actually the first fanfiction I've ever written, but, for the time being, this story is going under heavy editing. Please enjoy and critique; I live for the feedback, lol. 

I don't own the characters or the story line, but a lot of these ideas are original. 
----------------------

~ Gabriel ~ 

I can't go on like this. . . Not for much longer, anyway. This place has already taken my wife from me, and has left me and my son as scraps to pick up later. I can't protect him for much longer. Every time I take my eyes off of him, another predator lurks around the corner, waiting to strike. He's just a baby - defenseless, and I can't take much more of this.

No one has come to rescue us since my entire crew died when our ship caught fire. It was only my wife, my son, and I who escaped. We even built a temporary shelter in the branches of an enormous tree, but that still doesn't seem to be protecting us as much as we'd hoped.

Then, that dreaded cat. . . that damn leopard. . . Sabor took her from me! With one swipe of his paw, he ended my wife's life. . . and left me behind to suffer and grieve. Well, as long as I'm still stuck in this horrid jungle, Sabor, or any other retched creature that lies in this place, will not lay a finger on my son.

I stood by the makeshift window, staring out through the leaves that clung to the branches that surrounded our "house". The cool, moist breeze that blew up from the waterfalls just ahead danced through the tree, making the house sway peacefully, and the air around me calm and refreshing.