Part 8 - Revised

Caden

Sighing in distress I disconnect the call. Grace isn't answering, which means I'll have to call again if I want Erin's phone number.

It's been a week since I've last seen her and it's driving me insane. Right after Kale's birthday, I made a trip back to LA to complete one of my major projects. While I was there I planned to check on my firm and make sure everything was running smoothly, but I never got the chance. In fact, I left LA right after presenting my work and I booked the first available flight back to Wisconsin this morning.

What was supposed to be a 2 week-long trip quickly turned into a week, when I discovered that I no longer had the will to concentrate on work. Instead, my thoughts were only filled with one thing, a special curvy beauty that occupies every minute in my mind.

The desire to see Erin was so strong that I literally rushed through my work, so I could return home. But then it dawned on me that I had no means of contacting her. I recalled giving my phone number to Grace last week and was hoping that if I could reach her she would provide me with Erin's phone number. If all else fails, I'll have to pay my little sweet teacher a visit, but I'm not sure I could wait until Monday.

I twirl the phone on the counter as I contemplate my next move when the phone rings. Hoping it's Grace I glance down only to sigh in disappointment when I see Zack as the caller ID. With the phone resting on my ear I answer, "Hey Zack, what's up?"

"Caden, you doing anything tonight man?"

Well, besides my grand plan to sit by the phone all night waiting for a call, there's really nothing else to do. My only priority is to get in touch with Erin. "Not really," I respond.

"Great! Kyle and I are hitting this bar/club tonight. One of my friends owns it and asked us to stop by. So, what do you say, wanna join?"

I glance at the clock. It's 8 pm. Maybe going out and having a few drinks wouldn't hurt, I certainly need one. "Sure, why not."

"Perfect, since the bar is downtown we can carpool. I'll come by around 11."

"Sounds good," I say before disconnecting the call.

I wasn't expecting to go out tonight but maybe having a few drinks will help me relax.

Sliding my hands over my face it dawns on me that I haven't shaved since last night. In fact, as I look down at my plain grey t-shirt and blue jeans I realize I am still wearing the same clothes since I left California. My nose wrinkle as I sniff myself, I smell like sweat and airplane crackers, certainly not a good sign.

Keeping my phone close, I walk upstairs to the bathroom connected to the bedroom. Sliding my clothes off I step into the warm shower as I let the water sooth my aching skin.

*****

"Wow, this place is packed!" Zack blurts out, stating the obvious.

I quickly scan the crowd observing my surroundings. Just like Zack said the club is extremely crowded, it is almost hard to move around without bumping into somebody. The place is enormous. There is a gigantic open bar at the back of the room, a dance floor with a cage, and it stands at least two stories high. The bar is loaded with people ordering alcohol and guys trying to buy girl's drinks. The large dance floor is crowded, and the booths are jam packed with people socializing and drinking to their hearts content. But all of that doesn't matter to me; my attention is drawn to my phone resting on the palm of my hand.

I'm hoping that Grace will eventually see my many missed calls and reach out to me. However, by the time Zack and Kyle arrived for me, there wasn't a single ring. Even after all the messages I left Grace I still heard nothing from her, and it's been over 5 hours since my first call.