Part 2 - Revised

Erin

"Mother, for the last time I promise to come to your annual summer banquet," I mumble through the phone. I open the fridge and pull out a gallon of milk, pouring it over my frosty flake cereal. I'd just finished getting ready for school when my mother called. She always seems to call me at the most inconvenient times.

"Honey, that's what you said last year and the year before, remember? I was looking forward to introducing you to my colleagues, but then you never showed up. I understand not attending the dinner, but you didn't show your face during the auction or after-party. You already know how important this event is for me."

"Yeah, I know mom. I apologize that I couldn't make it these past few years and I have my reasons. But I promise you I won't miss this year." I reply taking a big bite of my cereal.

From the other end, she sighs loudly in distress, "Fine, but I'm holding you to that promise. I expect you to be there."

"I swear, I'll make it this year. I'll be there." I respond taking one last bite. Looking at the clock I see that it is already 7:10, if I don't leave soon I'll be late. "Mom, I have to go."

"Ok. Have fun at work today."

"Thank you, I will."

I am about to say bye when my mother speaks, interrupting me, "Erin darling, please come home and visit us sometimes. We all miss you dearly."

I freeze in my chair as I contemplate her words. The last time I saw my family was more than five months ago. It is true that I have been busy with school since I am trying to get everything done before the end of the school year, but sometimes I wonder if I use that as an excuse to avoid my family.

"I'll try mom," I respond half-heartedly before saying bye and ending the call. I didn't have the courage to say the words I promise; because it is a promise I can't keep. Although I love my family, I somehow feel that right now I needed time for myself.

I grab the keys off the counter and head out the door. 

As I am driving, I think about my mother's annual summer banquet that I promised to attend. It is an event that I have no desire to join, but I don't want to disappoint my mother more than I already have. Because I know how much the banquet means to her.

Every year my mom throws a large summer banquet to support one of her favorite charities. Usually, over 500 people attend the event, from CEOs to business owners, and sometimes there are even famous people that come.

The banquet is held at one of the biggest and most famous hotels in town. Throughout the year my mother would collect items or people would donate valuables to be auctioned off at the event. After the auction, there is usually an after-party which everyone attends and socializes.

I had always enjoyed the auction, but I was not very fond of the after-party. Unlike me, my younger sister Grace loves to attend those events. I usually hide away in some dark corner until it's time to go home. I don't blame her for enjoying those parties, mostly when she's usually the center of attention of every available bachelor there.

However, my dislike of events is not the reason why I didn't attend the banquet for the last two years. No, it was something else that I would like to forget and erase from my memory.

I pull up into the parking lot and into my usual spot, as I wipe the unshed tears from my eyes. This is no time to cry and reminisce about the past. In about ten minutes I will be greeting each child as they enter the classroom, and there is nothing else I want to show them except a warm smile for their day. I slap both my cheeks lightly and plaster on what I hope is a "good-enough" smile.