Chapter Three

We're in the third and final installment in the Renovations trilogy. I'm happy for those of you who stuck with me throughout all of this. This was a challenge to write, but it helped me grow as an author. I hope you see that, too. Now, the story will update on Wednesdays and Sundays, with teasers on Mondays and Fridays. It's pre-written and complete. Thank you to Christina Downs for her help with this – guiding me with suggestions for the story, editing and just being a sounding board for this journey – you rock, girlie! MWAH!

Chapter Three

"Edward! I have food for you," Garrett called as he carried in some dinner from Chipotle. "And we have a job! A restoration project in some condo complex." Garrett didn't hear anything and he walked into Edward's bedroom. His best friend was still in his king-sized bed, holding the tiny golden bracelet to his chest. He was curled up in a fetal position, his heart shattered. "Edward Anthony Masen, you get your pasty ass out of that bed and come eat," Garrett grumbled, pulling on Edward's arm.

"I'm not hungry," he answered, his voice dead.

"Look, you jerk. I know you're hurting, but I got a phone call from an interior designer about this amazing condo off of Seaview. It's overlooking Puget Sound and would an amazing opportunity for us," Garrett said. "I need you to help me. Get you smelly ass out of bed and come eat. We can talk logistics after that."

"First it's pasty ass and now it's smelly ass?" Edward questioned, turning away from him. "Regardless, I want to stay in here. What's the point?"

Garrett grumbled, stomping to the bathroom and turning on the shower. He stomped back to Edward and slung him over his shoulder. Edward squirmed as Garrett carried him to the bathroom, unceremoniously dumping him into the tub, clothes and all. Edward shrieked as the cold water hit his body. "The point is you need to get up and get back in life," Garrett growled. "You've got ten minutes to clean up. Capische?" Edward scowled at Garrett, hating him at the moment. He removed his wet clothes and warmed up the water, scrubbing his sore body.

In the kitchen, Garrett made their plates with the burrito bowls from Chipotle with chips, salsa and guacamole. He even pulled out two Coronas. Setting up their meals on the cocktail table, he waited for Edward to come out of the shower, flipping channels until he landed on Sports Center. It took longer than ten minutes because Edward shaved off the rat on his face. "Ah, the mountain man look is finally gone," Garrett snorted, handing his friend a beer. "Feel better?"

"I guess," Edward said, taking a healthy swig. "I'm sorry about being so absent lately. I just can't get over what happened. I want her back." He put the beer down, picking up the bracelet from his pocket. He idly played with the charms, his heart breaking.

"I know, Ed," Garrett said, patting his friend's knee. "I miss her, too."

"But, you can at least function," Edward snapped. "I feel like my world has been turned inside out and upside down." He slipped his fingers through the bracelet and frowned when it wouldn't go past his knuckles. Bella was so tiny. "Why did she just give up on us? On me?"

"She didn't want to," Garrett whispered. "She's scared."

"And you know this how? Are you talking to her?" Edward growled, his temper flaring.

"No. I'm not talking to her. The last time I spoke to Bella was when she left to visit Esme up in Forks," Garrett explained. "Though, I've been talking to Esme." Edward sat back, taking another pull from his beer, the bracelet resting on his knee. He glowered at Garrett. "She's the interior designer who wants us to work on that condo. She's on our side and is willing to work with me, with us, to help Bella see reason. But according to Esme, and I quote, 'Isabella Marie Swan is a stubborn pain in the ass who'd rather eat shit than admit that she's wrong. It's because she's a damned attorney.' And you have to agree. Bella is stubborn."