Chapter Two

We're in the third and final installment in the Renovations trilogy. I'm happy for those of you who stuck with me throughout all of this. This was a challenge to write, but it helped me grow as an author. I hope you see that, too. Now, the story will update on Wednesdays and Sundays, with teasers on Mondays and Fridays. It's pre-written and complete. Thank you to Christina Downs for her help with this – guiding me with suggestions for the story, editing and just being a sounding board for this journey – you rock, girlie! MWAH!

Chapter Two

Essie loved Bella. She was her best friend, confidante and sister. It broke Essie's heart to see her closest and dearest friend fall apart. She didn't know anything had happened when Bella showed up on her doorstep, in tears and nearly hysterical. Essie just guided her shattered friend to the guest bedroom. Bella crawled into the bed and buried herself among the pillows and downy comforter, crying brokenly. In her confusion, Essie sent a text to both Edward and Garrett. Edward never responded but Garrett called her, explaining that Bella had broken up with them over a video. Say what?

The first thing that Essie thought was kinky.

The second thing was, did Bella not know she was being recorded?

Essie asked for some clarification. According to Garrett, James had somehow snuck into her corporate apartment and set up small surveillance cameras and microphones inside. James had recorded the three of them making love and sent the videos to Bella's clients in New York City. From the conversation with Garrett, he was upset about what happened and the subsequent fallout, but understood why she did what she did. Edward, however, was inconsolable. Essie said that she'd try to get Bella to see reason. Garrett was resigned to what happened, but he was concerned about his friend. Edward truly loved her.

Essie and Garrett had been in constant contact since that day, trying to help their friends and hopefully bring them back together, even if it was just Edward and Bella rekindling their relationship.

Garrett knew that Bella's feelings for him were purely sexual. He knew it when he watched Edward and Bella make love on Thanksgiving weekend. It was reiterated when he saw them reunite on New York. She was in love with his best friend. Garrett's feelings were not hurt. He loved her in his own right and he wanted to see her happy. The broken woman who came to see them on the Banner's front lawn was obviously not happy. She was beaten down and humiliated. Garrett was fucking pissed at James for doing this to her. To them.

Essie and Garrett devised a plan, hoping that it would work. Bella was stubborn and Edward had just shut down. With a sigh, Essie looked over to her friend's room, hoping that something would give. Bella deserved happiness and love. Her life had been filled with enough pitfalls with the death of her father, her absentee mother and horrible, douchetastic ex-husband. She needed her own happily ever after.

As Bella showered in the rustically decorated guest bathroom, Essie made her some comfort food while she spoke to Garrett. "How's Edward?" she asked.

"He's still Emo Edward," Garrett snorted. "He's becoming a recluse. He won't leave his apartment and he's fixated on the bracelet we gave her. He won't let it go. Thank goodness we don't have any new bids or sketches to create, only active renovation sites. I'm keeping track of them, but if we get a new client, he'll need to come back to the land of the living. I don't know if he's ready ... How's Bella?"

"I finally got her out of bed and into the shower," Essie snickered. "But, she's still miserable. She has lost so much weight and she looks wrecked. I gave her shit about it. Of course, she argued and had to get in the last word. Damned attorneys. She's more upset about the end of your relationship than her ten year marriage."

"After hearing what her ex-husband did, I don't blame her. He sounded like a first-class douche canoe," Garrett grumbled.

"You don't even know half of it, Garrett," Essie sighed. "I hated him from the moment I met him, but Bella was head-over-heels in love. She didn't realize how much of an asshole he was until she was too entrenched in his drama. Then, came the cheating and the baby from his mistress, leading to her divorce."

"We've got to do something," Garrett growled. "I refuse to let this end us. What we had was good. Amazing! And her relationship with Edward was the stuff that romance novels are made out of. This is crap. We have to get them back together. I'm willing to forfeit my relationship and be her friend if it means that the two people I care for most in the world are happy."

"The problem is that once Bella makes up her mind, she won't change it. Both of us will need to do some cajoling. As weird as it sounds, we need to focus our attention on Bella since she's a stubborn pain in the ass," Essie deadpanned. "But, I think I heard the water turn off. I'll talk to you later. I may have a job for you and Edward. It may be the perfect stage reunite the three of you."

"No. Edward and Bella," Garrett snickered. "They're the two who are in love, Esme."

"You love her, too," Essie said softly.

"I do, but Edward is in love. I'd be thrilled if we could have what we had before, but honestly, I don't think it's feasible," Garrett replied. "Take care of my pretty girl. I'll talk to you soon. And send me information about this job. Edward may need this to distract him."

They said their goodbyes and Essie slipped her phone into her back pocket of her jeans. Bella padded into the kitchen. Her hair was wet and she was swimming in her clothes. "Do you want something to eat, Bells?" Essie asked.

"Not really," Bella shrugged, sitting down at the kitchen counter. "I'm not hungry."

"Well, you are looking like a refugee. Your clothes are huge and I think Alice weighs more than you," Essie chided. "How about some soup? Some bread? Something in your stomach. I made some cream of chicken soup."

Bella tugged on her too-long sleeves, nodding. Edward had left the shirt at her place. Even though she was no longer with him, she wanted to feel his arms around her. The shirt was the closest thing to having that happen. Essie worked effortlessly in her kitchen, preparing some creamy soup and warming up some crusty bread. A few moments later, a heaping bowl of soup was placed in front of Bella along with some bread. "Thank you," Bella murmured, ripping off a corner of the bread and dunking it into the soup.

"Do you feel better after you showered?" Essie asked, her fingers running through her friend's wet hair.

"I feel more human," Bella shrugged. "I also came to a decision."

"You're not leaving, are you?" Essie growled. "Los Angeles is not a good fit for you."

"No. Seattle is my home," Bella replied. "But, I'm going back to my house this weekend. I've called Marcus and I'm ready to go back to work. I can't keep running from my problems. Besides, work will be a welcomed distraction from the emptiness I'm feeling."

"Do you want me to come with you? I have an appointment with a client in Seattle on Monday," Essie said, lying to Bella. The 'client' was her meeting with Edward and Garrett at the new project.

"You wouldn't mind?" Bella asked, her brows furrowed.

"Of course not! I'll talk to Carlisle tonight and we'll figure out how long I can stay," Essie smiled, hugging Bella. "Now, you need to finish all of this. You've gotten way too skinny, Isabella."

"I'll try," Bella retorted. "I won't make any promises." For the first time since Bella showed up on Essie's doorstep, she smiled. However, Essie saw the pain behind it and the smile was more like a grimace. The only way that she'd truly smile again was to be with Edward and Garrett. Essie was determined to make that happen. Bella's stubbornness be damned.

A/N: I do have pictures and teasers posted on my Renovations blog. Link for that is in my profile. You can see what Essie's home look like, along with pictures and such from the two previous installments. You can also find me on Facebook: Tufano79's Twilight Fanfiction Appreciation and on twitter: tufano79.

Leave me some!

soʹ)^