It's So Hard to Say Goodbye

Carrots? Has anyone seen any carrots? The plot bunny attacked and well, you all are going to reap the benefits. NEW STORY! I've been writing some pretty heavy stuff lately and well, I'm going to lighten it up a bit. It's not going to be a humorous story (though there will be some funny bits) but it will be romantic. Some drama...some light angst (there needs to be some sort of conflict or it wouldn't be worth reading, kids).

Yeah, that isn't mine. AND I'm starting this chapter from scratch. Lost it when my computer imploded. Dang it.

Up next will be Bella's departure (in EPOV). It's going to be slightly angsty. I mean, the guy's soul mate is leaving him to go back to Seattle. He's bound to be a little crushed. We're also going to fast forward, too. I mean, we'll start with Bella's departure, then move ahead a month as they continue their long-distance relationship. It will also be in this chapter that Alice's blast from the past comes for a visit. Some of you guessed it correctly when I posed the question of who it might be. Do you think it's the same?

Chapter Fourteen: It's So Hard to Say Goodbye

EPOV

It's official. I'm a creeper.

I spent the night watching as Bella was sleeping. I counted her breaths, watching as her chest methodically rose and fell. With each exhale, she whimpered quietly. I know, baby. I'm sad, too. I gazed at her long, mahogany locks as they were spread over my pillow. Her curls were crazy and perfect. I memorized how her body perfectly fit in with mine. Where she dipped, I curved. We were like two pieces of a puzzle. On her back, I traced her beauty marks.

I was terrified of her leaving. My heart was shattering at her imminent departure. I felt empty. I felt broken. I felt...

Such a pussy, Edward. Get over it. It's not permanent!

Shut it. It's two months. Two long months. Without her.

Bella gripped my body as if I was going to disappear. I returned her embrace, happy to feel her against me. I wanted to be draped in her warmth forever. For now, I'll gladly accept her naked body pressed against mine. The tears she was crying...not so much. Her tears covered my bare chest as she sobbed in her sleep.

"I wish I could come with you," I mumbled against her soft, fragrant hair. "You're everything to me, gorgeous girl. My reason for breathing. I love you and I know that I am going to marry you someday."

Her response was a choked sob against my body. I looked down at her, seeing her eyes still clamped shut. However, her face was covered with tears. She looked so broken against me. With a heavy sigh, I went back to counting her beauty marks on her back. What number was I on? Eh, I'll start from the beginning.

Suffice it to say, I never fell asleep that night. I just held her, watched her, caressed her supple skin, inhaled her strawberry and cream scent, kissed her wherever I could reach...anything to remember her. Shortly after the sun peaked over the horizon, Bella's eyes cracked open. Her lids were red and puffy from the tears she shed during the night, sobbing in her dreams. With a sad smile, she looked up at me, her warm chocolate brown orbs stared at me. Tenderly, she ran her fingers through my hair and down my scruffy cheek. I held her hand against my face, staring at her.

Don't go. Stay. Please, stay. I want to love you. I want to make love to you. Please, don't go.

"Promise me something, Edward," Bella said, her voice raspy from disuse and sadness.

"Anything," I vowed.

"Don't cry when I leave," she murmured. "If you do, I'll probably just crawl into your arms and never go."