"Is this the surprise?" Rose asked him curiously, her eyes glittering with joy.

Tristan shook his head in response. "No, but I think you may want some flowers. Choose any," he told her, gesturing to the variety of flowers available. Rose raised one eyebrow at him, but did as he said anyway. He watched as she studied the flowers. She pointed at one bunch that was compiled of pink, yellow, and white blossoms.

"How much for these?" She asked the merchant.

"Price is no matter. We will take the flowers," Tristan interjected. Rose opened her mouth as if to protest, but Tristan merely smiled at her. He retrieved some coins and handed them to the merchant who nodded gratefully and handed Rose the flowers. Tristan guided Rose forward gently as they continued walking to their destination.

"You did not have to buy the flowers for me," Rose said, looking up over the vibrant petals that she clutched to her chest.

"It was my desire to," Tristan responded. He was unable to stop grinning - so much so that his cheeks were beginning to ache. Rose seemed so happy and, at last, comfortable with him.

They walked past the main crowd and into a much quieter, duller area. The streets were dirty and appeared empty. Tristan paid no attention to his surroundings, but he could not say the same for Rose. She gasped from beside him and suddenly ran past his side. Tristan looked around, confused, until he realised she was running towards two young children. He hurried his pace so that he was still near her. As he drew closer he realised the two children were beggars. Their feet were so dirty they were almost black with grime. Their cheeks were sunken and arms were impossibly thin. One was a boy and one was a girl - they could not have been more than seven years of age. Tristan stared at them, and as he did so he could not help but realise he was staring at the face of hunger. This is what suffering looks like.

Rose did not pay any attention to the state of the children, but she drew close to them. Tristan admired her - she was not like other women who usually would have avoided the beggars or scoffed at them. He stood a short distance away and watched as she bent over the children. They were speaking, but he could not hear what was said between them. Rose reached into the concealed pocket of her dress and pulled out a brown pouch. He watched as she reached into the pouch and pulled out some coins.

Without hesitation she handed both the beggars a substantial amount of coin. Tristan's mouth nearly dropped open at her generosity. The children stared at coins in their hands with blank expressions, as if dumbfounded. The little boy said something to her.

"It is for you," he heard Rose say, her voice carried by the wind. The little girl began to cry as she clutched the coins close to her. The girl stepped up to Rose and wrapped her tiny arms around Rose's legs. Rose did not shake the child off or scream as some women might have. She did not say that the girl was soiling her dress or staining her skirt with her tears. Instead she dropped one arm around the shoulders of the girl and rubbed her back gently. The boy was quick to follow. He too began to cry and hugged Rose around her legs. Rose eventually squatted so that she could hug them both. She held them both close to her as though she were a mother and they were her beloved children.

Tristan watched as she whispered a few more words into the ears of the children. The children laughed and nodded as they wiped away their tears. Then they ran off, clutching their precious coins tightly in their fists. Tristan shook his head in admiration, he had never seen such a beautiful sight. In mortification he realised a tear had escaped his eye. He wiped it away hurriedly before Rose could turn and see him. He approached Rose who smiled at him.

"That was truly beautiful," he told her honestly. Rose ducked her head humbly.

"I could not let them go without speaking to them," she admitted.