Chapter Twelve

Depuis le début

The face of Egor showed up on the third screen with a pinpoint two blocks away from the school, following his movements.

Howard's mind reeled. There was only one option. "Cassie, contact the president and request a telecommunication line with the United Nations. We're need permission to issue a missile strike."

Both Maddie and James swung around in their chairs.

"But sir, we have people in there." James said.

"So is Dimyan Egor. We need him dead and there's only one way to do it."

Maddie got up and walked over to Howard briskly. "We can't do that," she urged in a low tone, "and besides, we can't go in and bomb a city. With a missile strike, at least fifty civilians or more will die. You can't make a call like this so quickly—"

"We are on the verge of a total shutdown. If we could take out Egor, it would cripple their operation seeing as he is its leader. We can't get a team in there, so the only option is this."

"Nolan and Toby are out there." Maddie pressed, her hazel eyes like daggers.

Howard firmed his jaw. "I am aware of that. Fortunately, they're expendable. Unfortunately, I have another agent over there who is less than expendable. I hate to lose her, but I'm sure she's willing to make the sacrifice for her country."

Maddie's lips parted in utter shock. "Expendable? How could you—"

"I'd also like to remind you that you are now an official agent of the CIA and I am the director. Please have a seat."

Maddie took a step backwards, her face the reflection of sheer horror, before sitting down next to her husband.

One of the other agents looked up. "Sir, the president has approval from the Grecian authorities. We're a go for a missile strike."

                                                                                               ~~~~

They waited for over an hour, listening to the growing unrest. At first it was murmured confusion that turned into outright protest. It seemed to happen quickly, but Nolan guessed that was to be expected.

He made sure his gun was loaded and stood up. "Okay kids, let's blow this popsicle stand."

Grace let out a dry laugh. "Did you seriously just say that right now?"

"Just trying to lighten the mood." Nolan carefully helped Toby to his feet. "Can you walk?"

"Yeah." Toby grunted, righting himself with a cringe.

"What about running?"

He cocked an eyebrow. "I guess if it's necessary."

"It will be." Nolan assured him with an apologetic expression. "We need to split up. It'll be easier for us if we're separated...we'll be less of a target."

Toby and Grace seemed uneasy about the idea.

"What if we get attacked?" Toby inquired.

"It's better to avoid getting attacked in the first place." Nolan replied. "We'll be recognized easier if we stay together. There are plenty of people in the street to cover us."

"We can rendezvous at a construction site out of town to the right." Grace suggested. "It's about thirty minutes out by car; probably an hour by foot. Just follow the main road, you can't miss it."